Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Making A Partition  (Read 2772 times)

wynnstate

Making A Partition
« on: August 21, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »
I have one hard drive on my computer with quite a bit of free space on it, but only one partition. I want to use some of that  free space to make a new partiotion to install 32 bit win xp on (I am currently using win xp x64). I bought a copy of Paragon Partition manager, but it can't seem to create a new partition on my free space while programs (the operating system) are running on that drive. Does anyone know how to resize the partition on this drive so I can have room to make a new one?

mitchd

Re: Making A Partition
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 08:45:46 PM »
i havn't used Pargaon Partition but in partition magic you can create a dos boot disk and use it to boot from them change the Partitionas. do a search through the Pargaon Partition help and see if there is any way of making a boot disk

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:48:04 AM »
I have used PM 7 and there is no mention of X64 in the manuals.  I suggest you post on one of the many PM forums, you will probably get a more meaningful response there.

There's one here http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/forums/

and another here http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7120

and a heck of a lot here
http://www.redzip.com/index.php?tpid=10248&ttid=100&st=partition+magic+forum

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 03:54:23 AM by Dusty »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 02:58:43 AM »
I use the Partition Resizer in BootIT NG's boot manager. You don't need to install the boot manager just cancel all screens and go directly to Partition work.

This will run from a floppy diskette.

Just shrink the partition down to a reasonable size say 10240 MB (10 GB) and then re-boot.

Go to Disk Management and make an Extended partition using the full remaining drive-space and then create, up to, three Logical drives within the Extended partition and format them one at a time.

You can then move the My Documents and Email folders to a partition to give you sufficient free-space on the Primary partition (C).

You can also move the paging file to a partition and just leave a small paging file on the C: drive.

You should disconnect from the internet, remove your anti-virus program, and run chkdsk and defrag before booting to the diskette.

Not removing the anti-virus program can cause errors and failure.

TERABYTE

Mac

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 02:59:45 AM »
IMPORTANT

Back up any important data first of all!

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 07:26:48 AM »
    I've never use Paragon Partition manager, and Partition Magic. But I always use Partition Expert, it has intuitive windows wizard that you could easily do whatever you want with your partitions. And you'll save all your important info, as this software allows create, copy, move, delete partition of any type, without losing data.
    In this case, you could just shrink your partition, and create new one (Primary partition). As well, Partition Expert includes OS selector, during start up PC you could choose, which OS you want to use now.
    Actually, I've never seen such easy and convenient hard drive software.
    I really recommend you to try it. ;)