Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: all browsers stopped working  (Read 4723 times)

mightymum

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    all browsers stopped working
    « on: May 07, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »
    Hi there,
    My kids use a HP mini 1000 notebook and use a browser called kidzui, the notebook also has IE7 and firefox 3.6.13 installed. All of the browsers have all of a sudden stopped working. I still have wireless network connection with a strong signal. I also cant access the norton internet security so cant check for a virus, plus I have tried system restore but it will only let me access May dates and this has made no difference.
    Not sure where to go from here, if it is to do with norton security this was originally downloaded from the net so I cant re-install it as I cant access it.
    The computer uses windows XP.

Hoping some-one can offer some guidance as I am pulling my hair out!!

Thanks in advance
    Leisa

truenorth

Guru

Re: all browsers stopped working
      « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
      Couple of easy things to get you started.
      1.Unplug your wireless transmitter and modem from power for a minute replug and see if it solves your connection.
      2. Right click on your "wireless network connection " (by the clock) and select "repair". Let it run through it's process and see if you reconnect.
      3. From the same icon select "view wireless networks and tell us what you find.
      good luck,truenorth
      P.S. Could be that your SSID numbers are incorrect.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »

mightymum

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:23:09 AM »
        Couple of easy things to get you started.
        1.Unplug your wireless transmitter and modem from power for a minute replug and see if it solves your connection.
        2. Right click on your "wireless network connection " (by the clock) and select "repair". Let it run through it's process and see if you reconnect.
        3. From the same icon select "view wireless networks and tell us what you find.
        good luck,truenorth
        P.S. Could be that your SSID numbers are incorrect.

did this, still the same ... I do have connection it is just the browsers dont work.
        View wireless networks tells me I am connected to my network which is a security enabled wireless network (WPA).

Broni - I am a little confused by your post are you telling me this is a virus?? If so I will happily do the procedure set out, I do have virus software and firewalls just cant seem to access them, how am I meant to download new ones for the notebook if I cant access the internet atm?

Thanks to both for help.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 06:06:52 AM »
          It may well end up that you will need to follow Broni's advice but before you do one more thing i would like you to try. Contact your ISP and tell them of your problem and tell them you suspect your SSID's may be incorrect and ask for their assistance to restore them. My daughter's computer did exactly this not long ago (showed a strong connection but could NOT connect) and configuring her SSID values DID solve it. truenorth

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
          Kids + All of the browsers have all of a sudden stopped working + I also cant access the norton internet security....
          I strongly suspect, you're infected.

mightymum

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:48:47 AM »
            Thanks for advice, I will take a look at both and see what I come up with, unfortunately dont have time atm. I suspect a virus as well so am sure you will see me posting for some help over there in the next couple of days when I get some time to spend sorting this mess out.

Thanks again
            Leisa