Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acronis True Image Home 2011  (Read 3462 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Acronis True Image Home 2011
    « on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »
    I'm an absolute idiot with new software.
    I now have this program installed, there are simple one click steps to take, and even l can't understand it!!
    When it starts up, you get three options -
    Backup my critical data
    Use backup assistant
    Go to Main Screen
    I go to the Main Screen Option which then has a link to create bootable media, which seems appropriate, but then it says select the bootable components you want to save. What ???
    All l want to do is to create a bootable disk, that l can take anywhere.
    With this disk in my hand l could either reload my complete system, or even someone else could load the disk onto their pc and get my system up and running.
    So, apart from reading reams of instuctions, can someone let me know the quickest way to produce a bootable system disk?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Acronis True Image Home 2011
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »
    Not sure what type of bootable disk you want. There are various of these from Microsoft and Linux for you to create and burn. But to transfer an image of your system to another computer with different hardware is yet to be heard of. You need your Windows CD installers for your own or personal use only.

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
      Thanks very much Jason, point taken.
      So perhaps l worded it a little wrong, l dunno?
      Ooh err! Years ago, as far as l can remember, the way l got my machine to what is now was via Windows '98, and then l bought an "upgrade only" disk for Windows XP. Everything worked as expected, so am now on XP SP3, following MS's upgrades throughout the years.
      This XP upgrade disk will not restore the system and then l saw Acronis! I can't work it out although it must be simple??
      If my system crashes for whatever reason, all l want to do is to insert a cd into the drive, boot from it, and voila, my whole system will be restored as if nothing had happened. That's my main query.
      Now also, and just out of interest, whilst l'm not really into all this piracy doodah, if l downloaded a copy of a windows system, let's say XP, then why can't this be loaded onto another computer then?
      I read about systems that can dual boot, so those disks must work, regardless of what computer it is?
      Told you l was bit of a dummy, so be gentle on the replies!! (ha ha).
      Regards 

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »
      This XP upgrade disk will not restore the system and then l saw Acronis!
      The only difference with your XP disk and Acronis is that your Xp installer disk will wipe all system, settings, data,partition while Acronis will create a backup of your whole system or clone on a new, slaved drive. For smaller files or daily backup, you could use a cd or dvd. If you want to understand more, you could use the search box on computerhope for related topic or create another topic for another specific subject or search online for more topic discussion or supports for a certain software like this -> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Acronis_image.htm