Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezing after a hardware upgrade  (Read 2883 times)

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Computer freezing after a hardware upgrade
    « on: May 13, 2011, 04:52:34 AM »
    Hi, I'm having some issues with my computer becoming completely unresponsive after 2-3 hours of use.

Everything on my screen stops apart from my cursor.  With computer freezes in the past when there has been a bug I can Win+D or Alt+tab out, this does nothing and neither does bringing up Task manager.
    I hear no sounds coming from a HDD as if my computer was even trying to load something up, so I figure all can do is force the computer to shut down by holding the power button.

On booting up the the computer again I see no error messages and all seems fine.

I recently upgraded my video card from a Radeon X300 SE to a Radeon 5450 HD
    I also upgraded with 1 stick of  512mb ddr, if thats worth noting too

My computer is a HP Pavilon t760.uk running Windows XP

PTGD1-LA (Puffer) motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.93GHz
    1.5gb ddr

I use Norton Internet Security with all the latest updates and quick scan every day, full scan once or twice a week, running a scan as I type.  But I assume it's something to do with heavy usage or a heat problem so I'm going to shut the computer down as soon as the scan is done then check back here if anyone has any ideas what it is or what I can do about it.
    According to ATIs control center the card is at 50°C.  I don't know if this is good or bad.  Or if it's anything to go by, since it also tells me the fan speed is at 30% when it has no fan :P
    Thanks for any help

EDIT: forgot to add, I have uninstalled the old drivers and updated the to the 5450 ones too

Ted2

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Re: Computer freezing after a hardware upgrade
      « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:04:58 AM »
      Interesting... that scan I was doing came back with a high risk virus...  Not sure wether I should be happy or not haha..  I'm happy that it now sounds less like it's my new hardware over heating and instead just something on my hdd that shouldn't be there... does make you worry though, not a clue how it got there..

I'll be back though if my system does freeze up again though :P

I'm going to try to look more into the temperatures my comp is running at,  though could anyone tell me what kind of temps are bad and which are ok? because that is one thing I have never understood

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
      though could anyone tell me what kind of temps are bad and which are ok? because that is one thing I have never understood

For CPUs in general, I would say the max is about 65C and for GPUs 75C.

This site lists a lot of temperature info for Pentium 4 specific CPUs: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-007999.htm
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
      For CPUs in general, I would say the max is about 65C and for GPUs 75C.

65C is about right for most processors, although some can run hotter but not many (not saying that should, just can). 75C is lower than most cards run under heavy stress though. Most cards have an upper limit of 105-120C depending on the make and model. Shouldn't be surprised if the card reaches 90 with stock GPU cooling. This shouldn't harm the card though.