Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE9 starts but asks to be shutdown right away.  (Read 4541 times)

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
IE9 starts but asks to be shutdown right away.
« on: April 23, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »
        I had a windows update and was asked if I wanted to install IE9.  I said yes and then clicked restart computer.  The computer was stuck on the shut down screen so I hit the reset button on the computer tower.  Then, I click on IE9 and the window appears and I can see the new top of the window design but I get a constant dialoge box that reads IE9 has encountered a problem and has to close.  IE9 doesn't close but the box appears repeatedly after I click "close" or the corner "x".  I had to do system restore to get back to IE8 so I could post the problem.  This was one of two dialoge boxes that would appear, I can't remember the other one but produced the same results.  I have Vista.

truenorth

Guru

Re: IE9 starts but asks to be shutdown right away.
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:37:41 PM »
    Here is something i found that may be a factor in your issue.
    "Disable Receive Window Auto-Tuning

If none of those fixes the problem, and you are just having a really slow browsing experience only on your Vista computer, the problem could very well be due to the network auto-tuning feature in Windows Vista which is incompatible with some routers.

Open up an administrator mode command prompt (right click on command prompt and choose Run as Administrator), and then type in the following command.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You’ll have to reboot the computer after making this change. Note that the same change also can help fix problems with copying large files."
    truenorth
    P.S. Before doing this i would await further member input or comment.

BaRR

Beginner

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »
      I highly doubt a Windows feature is causing the issue, seeing as the program is crashing after a hard reset during updates. My first step would be to try reinstalling Internet Explorer from Microsoft's website instead of the updater:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-9/worldwide-languages

Then run updates after installing it from this executable, and hopefully the problem won't reappear. Also, try not to shut down windows while it's updating in the future, that tends to cause tons of problems.

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:55:48 AM »
      I tried downloading directly from the link BaRR provided and got the same result.  I get to see the new top of the window design of IE9 but I get dialoge boxes immediately before I can get to the home page.  The first one I get is "Internet Explorer has stopped working."  ...and at the bottom of the screen there is a box with a yellow bar on top that reads "A problem with this website caused IE to close and reopen the tab."  Then I get a box "checking for a solution" and then the process just loops indefinately.  I do notice that on my desktop I have the shortcuts for IE9 but there is also an icon that looks just like IE9 but has the Vista shield in front of it and is called IE9-windowsVisita-x86-enu.  I also tried running without add ons because I've read that suggested before but with the same results.  I have to system restore every time this happens.  For now, I'm downloading a second browser so at least I can get to the internet when IE gives me problems.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:02:27 AM »
        Hopefully you shall be able to eventually get IE to perform properly. In the meantime you might wish to install IE8 if IE is important to you. Many here on the forums will recommend Firefox as an alternative. I personally prefer and use Opera (the latest version--11 i believe).good luck,truenorth

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »
        I agree with truenorth.  Given the problems you've encountered with IE9, if you can get back to a properly working IE8, I'd just leave IE alone and install another browser and make that non-IE browser the default browser.  I have both Firefox and Opera installed on my Windows 7 system and sometimes switch the default from one to the other; now, it's Opera.  If you've never used a browser other than IE, Firefox is probably a little easier transition from IE than Opera due to greater similarity between IE and Firefox than between IE and Opera.

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 07:21:10 AM »
        I guess I'll just keep using IE8.  I downloaded FireFox too just in case I want to try intalling IE9 again.

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »
        MS sent me an answer to my problem and I'm now using IE9.  They said to go to advanced menu and click or unclick  Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. 

Prior, I got another windows update and it asked if I wanted to install IE9 and I clicked yes again and had the same problem.  Then, while I was stuck in the endless loop of opening and closing IE a Help or Solutions window appeared and told me to try this.  You all probably know this by now but just thought I would post just in case.

2x3i5x

Expert
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
        has the answer sent by MS helped your problem with IE9? And you probably might want to Reset Internet Explorer. Maybe doing that would help....

Microsoft Support info I linked to probably has info for older IE version, but it works same way with ie9.

Doug

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »
        Yea.  MS gave me the fix and now I'm using IE9 with the favorites on the right hand side of the screen.