Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I've got problems trying to format my C-drive.  (Read 4342 times)

petertje5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    I've got problems trying to format my C-drive.
    « on: May 10, 2011, 05:37:57 AM »
    I'm not THAT great with comps so I'll try to sketch the situation as clearly as possible.

Here's what happened: To go for a nice fresh start i wanted to format my C-drive and reïnstall Windows (XP Professional). The reïnstallation went without trouble except for not being formatted. So Windows just reïnstalled without any files deleted (hardly any) or installed programs deleted. Going through Setup again I see i forgot 1 step: Removing the partition to format. So, trying that I get the message saying something like: "Setup cannot delete this partition since it contains temporary files needed for the installation of Windows." The only option I get at that point is to press 'Enter' to return to the previous screen. (or something of the sort, my system isn't in English). I've only got 1 partition which is my C-drive. (plus the standard 8-mb of unpartitioned space)

So my question: How can I format my C-drive if Setup won't let me?

1 point of interest: If I rightclick on my C-drive within Windows the option 'format' isn't greyed out, which it normally is I believe. Though I've been told that that can cause harm to your system.

Everything can go because I've put all the files I need on DVD already.

If there's anything else you want to know, just ask. I'll try to check regularly but since my comp is a bit messed up right now it won't always let me. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance.

(I've posted this question in some other section as well but I believe it fits better here)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: I've got problems trying to format my C-drive.
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:47:11 AM »
    You need to boot to the XP CD. You cannot format or delete the system partition from within Windows.

petertje5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:50:15 AM »
      Oh I forgot to mention. I was booting from the CD yes. But even then it wouldn't let me format my C-drive. So, that's not gonna solve my problem I'm afraid ;)
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:12:53 AM by petertje5 »

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »
      If you are using an original retail XP CD and you are booting to it, you will be offered the opportunity to format (as well as the option to delete & recreate partitions).

petertje5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 06:16:08 AM »
        I have been offered that opportunity. But it still won't let me, which is my problem. If I chose the option to delete (or format) the partition I get the message saying: "Setup can't delete this partition because it contains temporary files required for the installation of Windows." Aslo, it doesn't give me a separate option for formatting. As far as I've seen and read the option of deleting the partition eventually leads to the formatting options (NTFS/FAT32, Fast/Normal, etc.)

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:22:57 AM »
        I'm sorry, but it does not sound as though you are booting to the cd.

petertje5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:34:23 AM »
          I've changed the BIOS to boot from CD first.
          I've inserted the CD and restarted.
          Then I get the message: "Press any key to boot from CD." And I press a key.
          Then Windows Setup starts.
          I get 3 options and I pick the one to install Windows.
          Then I get a screen which asks me if I want to repair my Windows installation or not. I chose 'Don't repair'. (I want to reïnstall, not repair)
          Then I get a screen which shows me the partitions on my computer (which is my C-drive and the unpartitioned space of 8mb) and I get 3 options again.
          - I can install Windows on the selected partition
          - I can delete the selected partition
          - I can leave Setup
          Installing Windows on the partition won't work cause my drive won't get formatted then.
          Chosing to delete the partitiongives me the message: "Setup can't delete the selected partition because it conains temporary files required for the installation of Windows." The only option i get on that screen is to press 'Enter' to go back to the former screen.

So that's where I'm stuck. I want to format but it won't let me. And yes I AM booting from the CD so please don't ask me that again.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »
          Choose the first option (Install windows on the selected partition). You should then be given the option to format first. Do that.

petertje5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 06:43:19 AM »
            I'll try that, I'll come back to you if it doesn't work.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:44:28 AM »
            Please let us know either way, though you should be fine.

petertje5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:23:42 AM »
              I'm afraid that doesn't work either. When I chose to install Windows on the partition I don't get the option to format. It will only remove the former installed Windows and desktop/security settings and gives the possibility that My Documents might be whiped. That's all I get.

...I don't get it, it worked fine the last time I reïnstalled it. (about 1.5 years ago, but still...)

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
              I'm sure you've read this already, but please make sure you are doing everything here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

Do you have a floppy drive? If so, create a Win 98 boot disk and use Fdisk to delete the partition(s) and then go from there (http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm)

petertje5

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 08:03:21 AM »
                Yeah I've read that a dozen times already.
                I've got a floppydrive so I will check that out.

I don't have the time for that today though, so I will check it either tomorrow or later this week.
                Thanks so far!
                I'll let you know if i find anything.