Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer not awakening from sleep + 2 additional problems  (Read 3389 times)

Theovide

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    computer not awakening from sleep + 2 additional problems
    « on: May 03, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »
    So the first problem I got is the one posted in the subject. My computer doesn't respond if I let it go to sleep, I have to take out it's source of electricity, wait for a small green light in the computer to go out and restart it after (when I do so tough it does actually reload what I had open when the computer went to sleep). It doesn't respond using my mice, keybord nor hitting the start button.

Then I have two problems that I think are related to my graphic card. The first one being my screen showing small lines of light and dark when I play computer games (Starcraft2 and WoW and some other games I've sen it on), which should be something to do with the refresh rate of the screen. Indeed how visible the lines are and how the lines act (they move up or down or stay put in the middle of the screen)  changes if I put on or off vertical sync in the game. It also changes if I play full screen or windowed, but the lines are still there.

The other related issue is my cursor graphics is bugging out at times, basically it'll be loads of lines instead of the white pointer/arrow thing it normally is.

The graphic card I use is Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5.

Oh by the way I use windows 7. For some reason it says unknown.

Any help would be lovely <3

Sincerely,
    Theovide.

Theovide

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: computer not awakening from sleep + 2 additional problems
      « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »
      I made this in kind of an hurry and now realise it might have been put in the wrong part of the forum. Though as it's several problems I'm not sure where to put it otherwise, but if any moderator or such knows a good place for this I wouldn't mind having it moved ;).

I also realised I didn't post what screen I'm using, which is a Benq G2420HD. Though according to a guy having the same problem as me, also with sapphire radeon card (not exactly the same one though) and a Benq screen, chaning screen to another one didn't solve his problem. Then again he might've been so unlucky that he got another unworking screen.

Anyway thanks for taking the time reading, if you did.
      Sincerely,
      Theovide.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
      What are your full system specifications?  They would help in helping us to assist you.

Theovide

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:59:30 AM »
         1.00 587820 Ace Ecco 400 Midi Tower Black
        Fans: 1x 120mm Back, mATX, ATX, 2x USB, I / O: AC
        1.00 494479 Lite-On DVD±RW burner IHAS124-19
        SuperAllWrite, 24x8x16DVD+RW, SATA, Black
        1.00 584721 Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5
        PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, 850/1
        1.00 430708 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
        SATA-300, 16MB, 7200RPM
        1.00 491282 Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
        Kit w/2x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i5
        1.00 593889 ASUS M4A87TD EVO, Socket-AM3
        AMD 870+SB850, SATA 6Gb's, USB3.0, DDR3, GbLAN, AT
        1.00 339898 Corsair VX 550W PSU
        ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6pin, 1x 6+2-p
        1.00 518692 AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
        Quad Core, 3,4Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 125W, Boxed

This is the receipt or likewise from when I bought the stuff, hope it's enough :).

Also, I've managed to reduce the flicker related problem slightly by updating some drivers aswell as putting the screen into it's own electrical output (and not into one who shares one electrical output into many). So it's not as much as a problem anymore, but if you know any sollutions that would still be great of course (right now I can't play in windowed [fullscreen] mode on my games because that increases the flicker somehow).

Cheers for any help
        Sincerely,
        Theovide

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:10:26 AM »
        Where do you live? Is your area 50 Hz power?

Theovide

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
          Where do you live? Is your area 50 Hz power?

I live in Sweden, and I'm quite sure we got 50 Hz (and 220 volt if it makes any difference).

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »
          Is your area 50 Hz power?

What difference does that make? 50 or 60 Hz, it gets turned into DC by the power supply.

Theovide: have you tried reinstalling the Sapphire driver?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
          What difference does that make? 50 or 60 Hz, it gets turned into DC by the power supply.

It matters. The power supply has ripple. A better power supply might help.
          hen I have two problems that I think are related to my graphic card. The first one being my screen showing small lines of light and dark when I play computer games (Starcraft2 and WoW and some other games I've sen it on), which should be something to do with the refresh rate of the screen. Indeed how visible the lines are and how the lines act (they move up or down or stay put in the middle of the screen)  changes if I put on or off vertical sync in the game. It also changes if I play full screen or windowed, but the lines are still there.
          PSU ripple is more annoying when using a 50 mains and refresh rate of 60.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »
          It matters. The power supply has ripple. A better power supply might help.PSU ripple is more annoying when using a 50 mains and refresh rate of 60.

Computer PSUs are not the old fashioned types with transformer - full wave rectifier - pi section filter of your (and my) youth. They are switched-mode devices. The switching frequency is typically 25 kHz.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »
          Theovide: have you tried reinstalling the Sapphire driver?
          This.  Make sure you're running the latest driver, which is 11.4 hotfix.

As for the sleep issue, do you know what BIOS version your motherboard is on?  If it's not the latest, update the BIOS first, but make sure you do it through the Asus EZ-Flash in the BIOS, not through Windows.

Theovide

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
            This.  Make sure you're running the latest driver, which is 11.4 hotfix.

As for the sleep issue, do you know what BIOS version your motherboard is on?  If it's not the latest, update the BIOS first, but make sure you do it through the Asus EZ-Flash in the BIOS, not through Windows.
            I will try to uppdate my bios, I haven't updated it manually ever. About graphic card drivers I've run some AMD update tools downloaded from AMD's site. But I've now also downloaded http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344093 (I found this one when searching for 11.4, and it seems like this is a never version just released?).

Anyway, I'll try to update the bios then I'll check stuff out and see if everything works.

Update: I'm not quite sure how to do the BIOS update, I've gotten into the Asus EZ-Flash but I'm not quite sure what to do from there. Also the update I think I downloaded haven't helped to much with the flickering. I'm thinking if it might be electricity output and if I should find a way to get it into an own socket (right now it's sitting into a double wall socket, the other socket leading to a split where I have all my computer stuff. I'm not quite sure how the double sockets work, if they share electricity in some way or not. (With double I mean something like this: http://www.valkyriaelmontage.se/res/Sidbilder/eluttagvaggvit.png )
            « Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:33:49 PM by Theovide »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »
            Does the computer not awakening from sleep(after leaving a period of inactivity and sleep mode is set) happens when leaving an intensive game with high settings or recommended settings for that particular game? Does flickering on full screen mode happens on all games or one? You could also borrow a known good power supply of same or greater than your current to check on this. Aside from installing the latest driver, you could also try lowering resolution a notch on a particular game and see the difference.