Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What programme is running  (Read 3361 times)

neeidea

Topic Starter

Rookie

What programme is running
    « on: May 12, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »
    Hope this is the correct place to post.

Windows XP

Security..Avira Anti-Vir, Malwarebytes.

Everytime i switch my pc on it takes around 10 to 15 mins  before  my sky broadband screen appears where as i know i can then view the internet but there is a programme running all the time before that which i am convinced is the reason why its taking so long, dont know if its xp updating or one of my securitys updating,is there anyway i can find out, sorry if its double dutch bit im new to technology.cheers

truenorth

Guru

Re: What programme is running
      « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »
      In windows xp you can depress 'ctrl/shift/esc" together and that will show the "task manager" which displays all programs currently running on your computer as well as percentage of computer CPU usage. I am including a web link to enable you to become more knowledgeable re "task manager" truenorth
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Task_Manager

alexK

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »
      Correction needed:

For Windows XP you need to press  alt+ctrl+delete

Keep in mind that a Wireless LAN will take up to 15 minutes to get established if the Signal Strength is poor, like mine, 1 floor down, and drywalls.

Task Manager still does not give any Information from what is happening between pushing the Start Button and when the PC is fully up and running, and that is what you are looking for.

You should not use multiple Spy Ware during Start Up.  AntiVir is maybe unavoidable, but you definitely do not need to run Windows Defender.  Run the last one on a Sunday afternoon, out of the way. Same for Google Updater, or Symantec Live, HP Manager. These dumb Software packages all want to have their finger in the porridge. They are all useless thrash during Start Up.

It will take a lot of learning and work to trace the problem, as there are many things happening behind the scene.

What you need to do is dig into >Computer Management >Eventviewer.
      Examine the logs  -Application, -Security, -System.
      There is where you will find the "Full Story".
      To trigger and view the desired events, you will have to follow the "Help and  Support" section and/or search for more on the Internet as you will have to set-up User Privileges first, to properly tune and view "Success or Failure  Audits", "System Information", "Application Errors", to see what is hawking the system during "Start Up".

You also need to run "Msconfig" and "services.msc" and make decisions of what and what not to run during Start Up.
      If you still not happy with that, than search the Internet for "SIW" and download the software.
      As an extra Aid, download and install "Fix-It-Mats", that will help you.

Like I said: "Task Manager" does not tell much, EventViewer does.

It may take a lot of "Double Dutch (GVD's) swearing" before you get any result.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:05:09 PM »
      wow...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:17:06 PM »
        alexK, As patio has exclaimed "wow" . I am sure that your presentation for the O/P is very well intentioned but may rise to the level of "daunting" in it's execution. By the way have you actually tried  "ctrl/shift/esc" on an XP O/S? Works fine on mine. truenorth

alexK

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »
        Hi Truenorth,

I tried "ctrl/shift/esc" on an XP, Prof and Home. It works. I did "ctrl/esc/shift" and it get garbled. Normally I do "alt/ctrl/delete", to avoid my dyslexic behaviour.

My Compaq Pressario suffers from Start Up disabilities. 15 Min's usual. I figure, it depends on the weather conditions and how much Cigar smoke is in the house. (Old Wifs Tale).
        To solve that problem, I hit the start button, have mug of coffee or two, a cigar and read the newspaper.
        There, problem solved!

Of course, it is a "daunting" task. Myself, I am still trying to solve stupid Google Updater controlling problems. It is like a Jacobs ladder, one problem triggers the next one, and HP nosing every 5 minutes to snoop if I have printed something and count the printed lines, and letting me kindly know that my (their??) cartridge is "Almost" empty.  Ask me how to get rid that invasion and I will tell you how. Hp does things that are none of their business. The Sneaks.  I have "their" number 56 filled for the 10Th time.
        But to solve these problems, you must search the Internet, and after a 150 or so Webpages, you will find the answer. "Help & Support" on your box will not give you the "HPmngr Empty Cartridge" answer, it would be target for a Lawsuit. 

Yes it is a "daunting" task, and thank you for the "wow", but a person is not going to solve dumb computer problems by just staring at that stupid thing. You must burn candles way past the middle of the night, search, search and search.
        If you are afraid of screwing things up, than buy a $5.99 PC at the Sally Ann, load it up with W2k, and eat your hart out. Lots of fun if you want to learn how the BIOS and HKEYS work. After all it does not cost anything other than patience and reloads.

As I said, "neeidea"  ("No Idea"  translated in English, and use Capitals where needed, S.V.P.) should pull a "Double Dutch" and search in the English Version of Internet. The other than English Computer Protocol, is in my opinion very  "daunting". After all, the computer was born in the English Language, trying to solve problems in Non-English is very misleading. And I do read and speak several Languages, and the Non-English advise is difficult to understand.
        Thus if a person does not Read/Write English very well, and tries to understand the basic PC problems, I call that " very daunting".

My advise to "neeidea" is to take that Dutch Bull by the horns, and do a Double Dutch, that is an excellent opportunity to learn English and the basic stuff of PC Problem solving.

I am always in for surprises, and still learning.
        (in the IT Business since 1965)

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:57:53 AM »
        Keep in mind that a Wireless LAN will take up to 15 minutes to get established if the Signal Strength is poor, like mine, 1 floor down, and drywalls.

lolwut  ???

The connection attempt would just timeout in about a minute. It might be retrying again and again, but it's not taking 15 minutes to establish a single connection. It has tried multiple times. It's not a regular thing. This is a sign of serious connection problems. Implying it "will take up to 15 minutes", even with poor signal strength, is just wrong. This isn't normal, and if it's normal for you, then perhaps you should examine your computer and network or discuss it with the person who manages your network.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 05:42:14 AM »
        alexK - you've been warned once for posting nonsense. Stop now or your warning level will be increased and your posts will not appear unless approved by a moderator.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 05:43:26 AM »
        neeidea: Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

neeidea

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »
          Cheers for the speedy reply, i know where to come when i need somemore advice..keep up the good work...