Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display Driver Stopped Responding Nv4_disp  (Read 4074 times)

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
Display Driver Stopped Responding Nv4_disp
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:46:01 PM »
Hello,
I am new to this forum and am a novice with computers at best.  I just started to have a problem with "Display Driver Stopped Responding".  I have windows xp service pack 2.  GeForce 7600 gt.  When I open a page on the internet that has alot of things going on the cpu freezes, screen goes black, i hear a beep inside the cpu, then it all goes back to normal then freezes again and again.  This also happens if i try to run avg, or other programs.  I guess my question is what is happening?  Is it a busted graphics card and if so can i pop in my old 5600 geforce to see if it works?  I read about uninstalling the driver then reinstalling but am nervious about trying that.  I even read somewhere that maybe my geforce card is stuck in a loop?  I am not sure where to start or what to do.  Any advice would be great.  Err just tried to turn cpu on for system specs but the monitor didnt show anything.  Rebooted and display worked but still have freeze problems. 
Cpu specs
Intell core 2 cpu 6300 1,8 ghz
memory ddr2 2048mbytes
chipset intel p965/g965

Cpu worked fine yesterday. 
Thank you

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Display Driver Stopped Responding Nv4_disp
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:53:42 AM »
First of all, check the temperature of the card. It's possible it is overheating.

If there are no heat issues, uninstall then reinstall the driver.

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the response quaxo.  Got home from work and was going to try what you recomended but after 3 attempts the monitor never came up so I just shut the cpu down.  I took out the graphics card Geforce 7600 gt and saw that some of the nodes (not sure what they are called, the fat cylinder things sticking out) had opened up or cracked open.  It stands to figure that the card is toast.  I do have another question though.  I tried to pop in my old 5600 geforce but it didnt place right, so I am wondering should i just try and find the same graphics card or will any upgraded geforce card fit in slot.  Sorry, tinkering inside or with my cpu is a bit confusing to me so i apologize if some of my questions are rudimentary.
Thank you.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:59:26 AM »
Those are capacitors...and you're correct they are the source of the problem...

Any PCIexpress card in your budget will work fine as a replacement...

The other card is probably an AGP....older slot type.

I would however check all the MBoard capacitors as well before you finish re-assembling everything...

Good Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

washingmachine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
Sweets, so far so good.  Checked motherboard and it looks good.  Got a GeForce 8600 GS which fits perfect, installed it with the software and cpu works fine for now.  Thank you all for the info.  By the way patio cool saying, I havent heard that before and I doubt it is a coincidence.  Thank you all again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
Never swap out a video card on acid...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "