Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card malfunctioned in the middle of OS restore...  (Read 3485 times)

snoofy1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • I believe that peace begins with yourself.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    video card malfunctioned in the middle of OS restore...
    « on: May 15, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
    Had to do a restore to factory condition on my HP Pavillion a810n desktop due to viruses. The system had loaded Windows files and was to the point of setting Windows up (I could hear the music start to play) when things froze and the the monitor screen went dark. I could still hear the music playing as if Windows was waiting for me to begin setting it up, but I could not see it because the screen was dark.

I checked that the cables & video card were well-seated, then I connected the problem pc up to another monitor and the screen was dark there also. It appears the video card has malfunctioned. I took video card out of pc, cleaned it with air, & noticed one side was so dirty not even air was removing the dust. Looks like the dust is so caked on it would need a thorough scrubbing, which can't be done. I reinstalled the video card in the PCI slot and booted pc again - the screen stayed dark.

My question is this: Will the computer be able to recognize the video card and install its drivers since I am in the middle of OS Recovery?? I need to be able to see the screen in order to finish the system recovery. Help!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: video card malfunctioned in the middle of OS restore...
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
    Last time I saw this, it was with a system with both integrated GPU and video card. If you plug video cable into integraed vga slot you might have video with no video out on video card.