Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cleaned the cooling system and now the laptop dies.  (Read 2194 times)

Jawsies

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cleaned the cooling system and now the laptop dies.
    « on: May 17, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »
    Hey I cleaned the cooling system on my laptop (acer 5735z) last night. I turned it on this afternoon and the fan starts up a bit TOO loud... suddenly my computer turns off a few minutes of me getting on the internet. I suspect it simply thinks the cpu is heating up because I connected things incorrectly when putting the laptop back together, but I am not sure. Anyone have an idea what is going on? The laptop is NOT heating up at all now, just acts like it is heating up incredibly fast.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cleaned the cooling system and now the laptop dies.
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »
    Most of todays cooling fans have a 3rd leg ( wire ) to which that is a tach that the system uses to verify that the fan is spinning and measure the rate at which it is spinning. If this wire was damaged or if the fan is not spinning fast enough, it will shut itself down to protect itself from a melt down. Your probably looking at having to replace that cooling fan. Loud noise from small laptop fans is not a good thing. Some are easy to replace and others are a pain to try to find one that will work if an oem fan is not readily available.

Jawsies

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Cleaned the cooling system and now the laptop dies.
      « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »
      It actually turned out I needed to re-apply thermal paste to the cooling system after taking the fan out. But thanks anyways. It works great now!