Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer has lost all it's drives??  (Read 6792 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Computer has lost all it's drives??
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
At this point, BC, the original issue of the OP was..err..I forgot now. What was the original issue?
I have already apologized for making a statement the was vague and not specific.
The problem the OP had will continue to be a problem till the issue is clearly understood. Did he find a solution?

1 Terrabyte Western Digital

OK. It was a WD 1TB internal and is the boot drive. Using Windows 7 64 bit.
Unless the moderator stops this, I will start this  with one authoritative statement which is really PR damage control. Bear with me. It is from Seagate. Western Digital later.
    Seagate has isolated a potential firmware issue in limited number of Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives and related SATA drives based on this product platform, manufactured through December 2008. In some unique circumstances, the data on the hard drives may become inaccessible to the user when the host system is powered on.

While we believe that the vast majority of customers will not experience any disruption related to this issue, as part of our commitment to customer satisfaction, Seagate is offering a free firmware upgrade to proactively address those with potentially affected products. This new firmware upgrade corrects compatibility issues that occurred with the firmware download provided on our support website on Jan. 16. We regret any inconvenience that the firmware issues have caused our customers.

To determine whether your product is affected, please visit the Seagate Support web site at http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/news.jsp?DocId=207931

In the unlikely event your drive is affected and you cannot access your data, the data still resides on the drive and there is no data loss associated with this issue. Seagate is working with customers to expedite a remedy.
This was not an isolated case, as the PR damage control above would have you believe.
These are now past issues and do not represent the current sate of any of the hard drive OEMs. The problem was not foreseen  by either Seagate or Western Digital. The firmware issue was not a mere error is the code, it was a fundamental design flaw. The products were not suitable for the mass market. In fact the firmware problem of Seagate and the firmware of WD were very different at the code level. It was how the users would use the drives, whether as external, internal USB or SATA. Blaming it on a chip maker was a straw man .

Computer world is regarded as a pro-industry rag, which I read. Still about the Seagate thing, it went much further.
News
Complaints flood Seagate over hard drive problems
Seagate offers free firmware upgrade
By Lucas Mearian
Computerworld - Seagate Technology LLC's online support forum has been riddled this week with complaints from owners of the high-capacity Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive, which in recent months had already drawn some complaints that the drive has been freezing up during data transfers or failing all together.

The Barracuda 7200.11 is the eleventh generation of Seagate's flagship drive for desktop PCs and comes in capacities ranging from 160GB to 1.5TB. Complaints have not been limited to Seagate's online support site. They have also weighed in on other forums. The complaints involve drives running Linux, Mac OS X and Windows Vista.

The company said in a statement Friday that indeed a problem has caused some drives to fail and, it said it isolated the issue to a firmware bug affecting not only the 7200.11 but several other models manufactured through December 2008. Those include the DiamondMax 22, the Barracuda ES.2 SATA and the SV35.

Seagate is offering a firmware upgrade that it says will fix the issue.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9126280/Complaints_flood_Seagate_over_hard_drive_problems

Western Digital also released a firmware fix  for drives in its 'Green' line. When you understand that it was not a failing chip and not a bug in the software, you grasp the big picture. They do not really test they products on Personal computers.
Yes, the problem was with the 'Green' drives. And not the same problem as Seagate. Let me repeat, it was no a mechanical thing,  not in the start. In both the case of Seagate and Western Digital they underestimated what trousers do with the drives. Whether internal or external.

The Pcgameshardware web site is pro-hardware and would bad mouth a company only if it did something bad.

Hard drives: Western Digital also got problems
There is a new firmware for Western Digital's Green Power hard drives that is supposed to solve problems related to the combination of energy saving mode and certain programs.
A new firmware is available for three Western Digital hard drives.

A new firmware is available for three Western Digital hard drives. [Source: view picture gallery]
Western Digital's hard drives of the Green Power series have a feature similar to hard drives of notebooks. The Read/Write heads are run on energy saving mode if there hasn't been an activity for about eight seconds.

But certain applications like Speedfan or several Linux distributions access the hard drive in regular patterns - sometimes in a 10 seconds rhythm - and thus unnecessarily use the hard drive. A possible option to work around the problem would be not to use such software, but this definitely ins't practical.

Therefore Western Digital developed a new firmware for the models WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0 and WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0 that extends the timeframe from eight seconds up to five minutes. Alternatively the saving feature can be deactivated. Western Digital provides the required tool. As Silentpcreview reports the affected hard drives can be recognized by a high "load/unload cycle” via SMART. Some Green Power hard drives are supposed to have exceeded their specified 300,000 cycles in less than a year.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,674613/Hard-drives-Western-Digital-also-got-problems/News/

Similar articles can be found in other forums. Here is one that is short and sarcastic.
Western Digital frmware fix
WD and Seagate take steps to fix terabyte drives
Submitted by Devon Cooke on Thu, 2009-01-22 15:13.
Reaching the terabyte mark was an important symbolic step for hard drive makers — a way of saying, "Our drives are so big, we need a new word to describe how big they are!" But that was two years ago, and, as the drives have aged, some problems have come to light. Both Seagate and Western Digital are in the midst of dealing with unexpected problems in their terabyte drives. And both have now commented publicly on the problems. And, happily, both have offered fixes for their respective problems.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Terabyte_Drive_Fix
Wait, did I forget the Tom's Hardware post? Oh, it really was a firmware failure. But it did not help their PR any.
In the wake of freezing issues with Seagate's 1.5TB drives comes yet another problem with the Barracuda 7200.11 series. Failure rates of the 1TB drives in particular are abnormally high, but Seagate has not acknowledged the problem.

Now 11 pages long, the "official" problem discussion thread on the Seagate support forums is full of users reporting problems with the ST31000340AS, the 1TB Barracuda 7200.11 drive.

One user built a 6TB RAID array three months ago. In two months, one of the drives failed. A second drive failed about a month later, and a third eight days after that. Another user had four out of five of their drives fail within 12 days of purchase. Reports of failures can also be found on other forums as well. Some data recovery and RMA centers have reported failure rates of approximately 30 to 40 percent, but Seagate has not released any official information.

The issue lies with faulty microcode in firmware version SD15, found on drives manufactured in Thailand. Generally, the drive will operate normally until the time of failure and at some point will lock up and prevent detection by the BIOS, rendering it completely unusable.

While Seagate has not publicly acknowledged the problem as of yet, they have reportedly updated the firmware on all newly manufactured drives, however the firmware cannot be update on drives that have already failed because the BIOS does not even detect them. This means that owners of affected drives require data recovery services to save their critical data.

No recall on unsold drives with the affected firmware has been issued.

Update: Seagate has acknowledged the problem and is providing firmware updates through customer support. Additionally, if your hard drive has already failed, Seagate will provide free data recovery services, since the data is not actually affected.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-7200.11-failing,6844.html
Here is another user gripe about WD and the firmware update.
Occasional Contributor
twostime
Caviar Green 1.5TB drives - problem with new firmware
12-08-2009 03:39 PM - last edited on 12-08-2009 03:43 PM
Synology support the WD15EADS FW rev 00R6B0.  They do not support the same drive with rev 00P8B0.  Sadly the only FW version available in the UK at present.  What is the likelihood of a FW update to fix the issue?  Just bought two that I thought were supported drives (I checked) but since they arrived they have been spurned by Synology and exhibit the very problems they describe. . .
That, of course, does not count. Even if 1,000 users complain, but the OEM says almost nothing, the OEM is always right! Besides, that user is in the UK. They always complain.

Can I go to now? It is 9:50 PM here I I want to watch 'House' on the telly. It comes on a 10. CUL.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »
At this point, BC, the original issue of the OP was..err..I forgot now. What was the original issue?
The original issue was unrelated to the hard drive.

The problem the OP had will continue to be a problem till the issue is clearly understood. Did he find a solution?
The problem was the motherboard.

Unless the moderator stops this, I will start this  with one authoritative statement which is really PR damage control. Bear with me. It is from Seagate. Western Digital later.
That addresses a problem in a upgrade version of firmware that was released on the site. That is, drives didn't come with that firmware, you had to manually upgrade to it. Additionally, they don't mention any specifics as to the problem.

This was not an isolated case, as the PR damage control above would have you believe.
What makes you think this? A few forum posts?

These are now past issues and do not represent the current sate of any of the hard drive OEMs.
So why bring it up? What was the point of that exercise?

The problem was not foreseen  by either Seagate or Western Digital.
The quote refers to Seagate, you have yet to provide anything about WD.

The firmware issue was not a mere error is the code, it was a fundamental design flaw.
How do you know this? Did you fix it yourself, or are you making assumptions? That link doesn't even provide any specifics as to the possible symptoms.

The products were not suitable for the mass market.
The firmware wasn't- firmware which was only available by downloading from their site. At least, if I'm supposed to read the quote. Even if, for the sake of argument we say it was in the drives that came from the factory, there are a few things:
-It's a seagate drive. Again, not sure how this extends to WD, nor how it reaches 2 and a half years into the future with unrelated models.
-The effect? the drive would brick itself during hardware detection. A problem? Of course it was. However, you seem to take this a step further. Instead of thinking "well, golly, I see you have a 7200.11 barracuda drive, and it doesn't appear at boot up, I suspect it might be this firmware issue I read about" you go

OMG... chkdsk takes 2 seconds longer when the hour hand is between numbers! It's a massive conspiracy! WHAT? your partitions keep messing up? MUST BE FIRMWARE ISSUES! You can't copy data to a write-protected floppy... oh... and you're using a seagate drive, there is your problem! Or in this case, "I see you are having issues seeing any devices at boot... OMG... you have a WD drive, there is your problem" as if that is a legitimate means of diagnosis.

In fact the firmware problem of Seagate and the firmware of WD were very different at the code level.
YOU BLEW MY MIND.

different manufacturers use different firmware? So is this your citation for WD? "they use different code than seagate but they still have the same problem?" Because that's pretty weak.

Blaming it on a chip maker was a straw man .
And being able to update the chipset driver and resolve the problem-

welll that was simply black magic!

Computer world is regarded as a pro-industry rag, which I read. Still about the Seagate thing, it went much further.
And you proceed to quote a PCWorld article, which basically redescribes the same thing. They claim it was part of the firmware on the drives as they came, but I think that may be journalistic imbellishment, as you are wont to find in a PC Magazine. Either way, they are rather specific that the drives were all "models manufactured through December 2008", Looking at the calendar, I see the date is May 2011. I suppose I can quote things about the FDIV bug and say Intel is unreliable too?

Western Digital also released a firmware fix  for drives in its 'Green' line.
Yes, the GREEN line. a fact you never ask Original Posters about. you see WD and your eyes set fire and you go "OMG I KNOW THE PROBLEM! IT IS THE DRIVE!" regardless of whether the user is actually having issues with their hard drive or is just trying to download some attachments. It's never a WD Green drive, Just as when they say it's seagate you don't care if they have a Baracuda 7200.11 that was manufacturered before December 2008.

When you understand that it was not a failing chip and not a bug in the software, you grasp the big picture.
The big picture is: Companies and people are fallible. Well hot *censored* that is a huge revelation there, professor! Any other nuggets of wisdom you care to share with us? Perhaps that dogs and cats have four legs, flies have compound eyes, or computer memory comes in a stick format? Secondly, it WAS a bug in the software, because firmware is software, but I suppose that would be splitting hairs. Either way, these are problems, as you have said yourself that have passed. Do you somehow think that because those two companies have had some firmware issues in the past they are somehow more likely to have more in the future then other HD manufacturers? Do you also firmly believe that because Intel had the FDIV microcode issue in their  Original Pentiums that any excel spreadsheets created on Intel processors should be double-checked by a mathematician?

They do not really test they products on Personal computers.
If the issues are sporadic and rare, there is a possibility that the problem can slip through the cracks. You can't read that there was a firmware issue on a few drives three years ago and suddenly conclude that any and all products made by that manufacturer aren't tested on the very PCs that they are designed for. That's a ludicrous and overbearing assumption.

Yes, the problem was with the 'Green' drives.

I pointed this out. Again, and I repeat, this is how people threads often go if they make the "mistake" of mentioning their drive is Seagate or WD.

OP: Hi, I'm having a problem, I can't seem to see any of my drives when I boot up"

Mr.Conspiracy: Are you using a WD hard-drive"

OP: yes

Mr. Conspiracy: Even though the problem to which I refer was something prevalent three years ago and with a sub-type of the brand you use that I can't be bothered to confirm you have, and even though the symptoms where you don't see the Optical drive either are wholly unrelated to the issue to which I refer, I think you should use another brand and see if that fixes the issue.

In both the case of Seagate and Western Digital they underestimated what trousers do with the drives. Whether internal or external.

So wait... they didn't expect users to boot up? It is a rare issue that occurs when the drive is first powered on. I see that as an oversight, but hardly underestimating what people do with drives, particularly since power up the drives is almost certainly something they would expect users to do at some point.

The Pcgameshardware web site is pro-hardware and would bad mouth a company only if it did something bad.
And you know this... How? Seriously, Magazines are full of nonsense. Anything that sells another copy can be put in there. They aren't sources of information, either.

Similar articles can be found in other forums.

And I'm sure there can be posts found about people who think that their Intel chips are posessed by a dark wizard named agememnon who eats goats and makes macaroni pictures, that hardly means it has a factual basis, it just means those people are delusional.

Let me sum this up. I really don't give a flying crap what you believe. Really I don't. I already know you believe all sorts of conspirational nonsense that would make a 9/11 "truther" blush. My "problem" is that you are using these 3 year old citations as somehow proof that Seagate and WD drives have a rate of failure that is statistically higher than other brands. That's what I was asking for, so I assume that is what you are providing. Knowing you though I wouldn't have been surprised if your evidence consisted of a souffle recipe and a laundry list. In any case, All this confirms is that you base that entirely on two instances where there were firmware issues with said drive. This is the equivalent of the following:

OP: Hi, for some reason all my excel formulas are wrong, any help?

Poster: can you post the formulas you are using?

Conspirational crazy person: Are you using an Intel chip? Did you know that over 20 years ago there was a problem with one of their chips microcode that caused it to do math wrong? It was called the FDIV bug! Somehow this bug from 20 years ago translates into the cause of the problem on your i5 system! Apparently whenever a company has an issue with a single line of their products we must generalize that problem and make assumptions whenever that brand is mentioned!
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
I give up. I plead guilty as charged.
To finish this thread with some redeeming value, here is a 2007 report, which many have already read.
http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf