Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PHP contact form & issues with IE/4:3 ratio resolutions  (Read 3284 times)

mistojen

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    PHP contact form & issues with IE/4:3 ratio resolutions
    « on: May 20, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
    Hello.  I am currently working on a new design for a current website and I have a few questions, as I'm really rather new to this.  First, I am trying to create a .php sort of contact form so that it will send immediately to the email address of the school's owner, however, every tutorial I have tried ends up giving me errors when I put the code into effect.  When I try just HTML, an empty email pops up with the information necessary in the body of the email, but that's not what I'm looking for.  What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, I have tested the navigational bar successfully on Firefox & Google Chrome.  Most of the navigational bar works on Internet Explorer, except the "home" section does not show up as a link; just text with the wrong font/size.  :-\ I've looked around Google for "If IE then" sort of things, but I'm not really sure how to fix this.

Lastly, the website looks good with a widescreen resolution, but with 1024x768 or 800x600 resolutions, it looks terrible.  I have used percentages for the widths of all the divs, images, tables, and the navigation bar, so I'm not sure what I could possibly do to correct this issue.   :(  Any ideas?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PHP contact form & issues with IE/4:3 ratio resolutions
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 03:52:33 AM »
    Can you give us a screenshot of the way it should look and the way it should not look on the different resolutions. Also post the code you're using for the form.

mistojen

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: PHP contact form & issues with IE/4:3 ratio resolutions
      « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
      Absolutely.  This is how it looks on widescreen ratio:

Firefox (this is the ideal look and functionality)

Internet Explorer (note the weird lack of link for HOME on the nav bar but everything else working properly)

This is how it looks when I change my resolution to 800x600, which is what the owner of the school uses on his old-school square monitor:

Firefox (notice how not only is the layout elongated horizontally and ugly, but the dropdown menu for FITNESS is way over on the left of the screen, which  makes those links impossible to click)

Internet Explorer (notice how the layout is so horizontally elongated that you can't see the pictures in the center?  if you had this resolution and scrolled past the sidebar in its entirety, that is where the pictures would start to become visible ETA: see screenshot here)

As for the php form, just to make sure it worked before I bothered putting any extra work into customizing it, I used these directions and code exactly and even created and saved the files to a "form-submit/em" folder in the cgi-bin, so that all I would have to do was remove the stuff specific to the example website and insert stuff specific to the one I'm working on currently.  So I'm not sure if the codes themselves are faulty, if I'm installing them wrong, if the issue is that the email the school's owner wants to use for contact is @aol.com rather than @americanhapkidoct.com or what the problem is :(

Even if you guys can't figure out any of it, thank you so much for looking!