Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Resend message on Firefox and IE  (Read 4955 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Resend message on Firefox and IE
    « on: May 23, 2011, 05:27:40 AM »
    When I click on "go back a page" on a library catalogue site I often get a message - "To display this page Firefox must send info. that will repeat any action that was performed earlier", with two boxes "resend" and "cancel". Clicking resend allows you to carry on and go back, and if you are searching and need to go back and forth it becomes very irritating.  The same message occurs when using IE, and it's only on this site , in my experience.  Is this some check imposed by the owners of the site or by the browser?  Can I stop it somehow?  I don't really understand the meaning of the message.
    Clarification appreciated.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Resend message on Firefox and IE
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
    It's the browser. The page your are viewing needed information submitted to it in order to display correctly (such as a search or some kind of form, etc.). It's just warning you that you are probably submitting information that you've already submitted. Depending on the information, this can sometimes cause errors or problems (like if you're posting information, this will post it twice).

If there's a "back" link on the page itself, using this instead of the browser's back button will usually stop that message or the need to resubmit information.

Without knowing the site, that's about all the clarification you can get. I don't know what information it is actually trying to resubmit.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
      Thanks for reply quaxo -
      The site is the local library service and this occurs when looking in their catalogue for books, authors, etc. - there is no "hard" information sent or order given.  That is what puzzles me.  It's not quite knowing what the message means that irritates!  I'll just carry on clicking resend.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
      If you don't mind sharing that library website, perhaps some of use could visit the site and see whether we get the same behavior.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
      the message means the site is passing information from one page to the next by way of HTTP POST headers.

if you are searching, then the POST headers will have your search query, if you are paging through then they may contain the page to view.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:38:52 PM »
        soybean - this is the link (Dorset LibraryService):

http://libcat.dorsetforyou.com/

What are POST headers?

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
          Further to previous - I've been trying the site again, more carefully, to try to pin down just when these messages appear and I have a further clue.  They seem to come up as I said before but only when I'm signed in with my library number.  I now think that maybe that is the info that is being repeated?  The messages don't seem to appear if you search the site as an outsider, as it were.  Sorry to have wasted anyone's time if this is the case.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »
          They seem to come up as I said before but only when I'm signed in with my library number.

That's it. the pages are sending your library number or sessionID or something to that effect to each subsequent page.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
          If you're doing a search, there's a "Return to List" button at the bottom. If you click this instead of clicking your back button, you shouldn't get that message anymore.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
            Thanks to all for advice and interest shown.