Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Dimension 5150  (Read 3183 times)

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dell Dimension 5150
    « on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:10 AM »
    I've just inherited a Dell 5150 and would like to see if it's usable before I dump any money into it, like more ram, a second HD.  Running windows home edition w/sp2. Upon startup the system will get going and get to the log in page, but it will not recognize the mouse (USB).  Unable to get any further.  I can use the F8 funtion and it seems to be working as it gives me the options and I can move the selections with the arrow keys.  I can start to boot in safe mode, but it returns to the log in screen as before. This machine had 2 drives, but one went sour and is gone, so am I right in assuming since I can get to the log in screen that the other one is ok?  What should I check next?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Dell Dimension 5150
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »
    Have you tried the mouse on different USB ports?  Take a look at Device Manager.  Does it show any yellow triangles containing an exclamation mark?   Does the Delll 5150 have a PS/2 port for a mouse?

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »
      I am now able to boot using system menu and "booting from utility partion" Mouse/keyboard active but when I exit and restart, it goes back to the original situation.  I need to boot from the utility partion and get in to see what else may be going on.  how can I make this partition my main boot item?  May not be saying this right...

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
      Eh, I'm not sure I follow you.  Anybody else want to chime in?

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
        I am able to get the mouse and keyboard to work if, upon startup, I choose F12 which leads to the "boot device menu" then down to "boot to utility partition", apparently on the HD.  This leads to the "hardware device diagnostics" from which I can check all hardware on the machine, (all good).  When I leave here, it reboots to the same place I was, no mouse or keyboard.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »
        You could restore it to the "as shipped" configuration.  It doesn not appear to be updated since it's running SP2 not SP3.

Inside the Dell Utility Partition
        Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
          Thanks, I'll try it..

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner