Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Weirdness  (Read 3464 times)

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
    Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Weirdness
    « on: May 21, 2011, 07:53:37 PM »
    My Toshiba Satellite A105-2712 running Win XP keyboard has stopped working except for four keys in a row, 8, I, K, and , , Weird right?
     I have tried finding a kbdclass.sys file on the net to no avail and there is no such driver on my recovery disc that came with this piece of #@*^. It is like Microsoft has stopped recognizing Windows XP, go figure. Short of formatting my entire harddrive (which I do NOT want to do) how can I fix this? I have eliminated the drivers in the Hardware Manager and it has reloaded apparently the same drivers because it doesn't work after a wizard run. An external keyboard works fine but I don't want to carry this with me forever. I have not spilled any liquids in it and I did not sit on it and after 3 years of reasonably good service this is what I am rewarded with. Any suggestions gents on this perplexing conundrum. Thanks ahead.
    Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Toshiba Laptop Keyboard Weirdness
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
    It could just be a hardware issue as keyboard pad needs replacement.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »
    keyboard has stopped working except for four keys in a row, 8, I, K, and , , Weird right?

... not weird, it's normal to lose one or more rows or parts of rows if the keyboard's ribbon cable has cracked or come loose or the contacts have got a bit dirty. You can get a replacement keyboard for around $15 or less on the web, or slightly more from a parts stockist locally in whatever country you live in,  but it might just need reconnecting or the contacts at the end of the ribbon cable might need cleaning. You could possibly do it yourself or take it to a repair shop if you lack the skills or inclination to take your laptop apart. There are gazillions of illustrated guides on the web showing how to do the job. Just type "Toshiba A105 keyboard" into Google.

Picture showing ribbon cable on typical laptop

Small article about cleaning the contacts

http://askville.amazon.com/top-row-laptop-keyboard-working/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=9462085

Article here on replacing A105 keyboard

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5021575_replacing-toshiba-laptop-keyboard.html

Picture of keyboard for Toshiba Satellite A100 A105 1400 2400 series laptops costing $13.75 on Amazon

after 3 years

Then it is quite possible that it needs replacement. They don't last forever.

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
      « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:37:05 AM »
      Thanks for the info. I will get the keyboard from Amazon and put it in myself. This laytop isn't doing me any good as a paper weight so I have nothing to lose. Thanks again.
      Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.