Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Applications wont open  (Read 3088 times)

Fatjay

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Applications wont open
    « on: May 19, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
    Not too long ago i got connected to the internet and so the first thing i did was download 2 virus protection and cleanup programs. i cant remember what they were called but i found a post on the web that said they were the best ur money dont get you. I regret it now. But now to point. Wheni start up the backround will appear but no icons. After like 5 minutes they appear but nothing works. The start menu will oppen but if i click anything it just closes. i got into the disc drive and went to properties and did a disk cleanup and after it was done i restarted the computer and it loaded quiker than usual but it wouldnt let me log on or click the turn off power button. And now im stuck. Any suggestions?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Applications wont open
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:25 PM »
    Can you get into safe mode? If so, can you see your icons and click on stuff in the start menu?

To get into safe mode tap the F8 key repeatedly as the computer is starting up (before windows loads). Choose safe mode from the list of options on the screen.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »
    Backup your files and reinstall. If you can't get in normally, try it in safe mode as JJ 3000 explained.

Probably not what you want to hear, but at this point, it would be easier than trying to repair whatever damage has been done, especially when you can't remember what caused the damage in the first place.

Also, for future reference: Never run two anti-virus products at the same time. They can interfere with each other and be less effective than just having one.

As for cleanup programs: If you're talking registry cleaners, NEVER use them. They create more problems than they fix. You'll find any reputable member here will tell you the same thing.

Fatjay

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »
      Im trying in safemode now. And it still wont let me log in.

Fatjay

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »
        I got into safe mode no. And i dont have the disk. The computer was givin to me. Oh and none of the icons are displayed the look like a piece of paper with a window in it.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
        Can you open the control panel in safe mode?
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

raj36562

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 02:51:14 AM »
          see..u hve to do lot of things here..first do basic things..like disk clean uP n defragment n clean start up n check the anti virus n just go to add or remove programs n ther just delete those program u dont wanted...u hve to reduce ur programs..bcz its important to make ur system speed is up....then  go to services n stop those service u dont want n disabled tht services....surely u wil get some improvement

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:17:54 AM »
          Ignore the above post.