Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about Repairing Bad Sectors  (Read 8526 times)

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Question about Repairing Bad Sectors
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
Hello, good morning. :)

Just came up my mind about repairing the bad sectors using software.

Does using a software really repair the bad sectors in the hard disk?

Thanks and God bless. :)

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
Re: Question about Repairing Bad Sectors
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »
AFAIK No - but software may flag the sector(s) as being unusable allowing the hdd to continue in use. 
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:03:55 PM »
Hello Dusty, good afternoon. :)

I see, but this HDDRegenerator software says "It does not hide bad sectors, it really restores them!".

This make me confuse Dusty. Can you explain more further.

Thanks and God bless. :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:05:33 AM »
...I see, but this HDDRegenerator software says "It does not hide bad sectors, it really restores them!"...
I am not familiar with HDDRegenerator, but this one does restore:  http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
For more information read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector
Do not buy any program to repair Hard drives.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
If a sector is physically damaged then no amount of software will do a darned thing.  You are better off using software that just marks the sectors so that the OS won't use them.  You will not notice much difference in the size of the HDD, certainly nothing worth writing home about.
Evil is an exact science.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
If a sector is physically damaged then no amount of software will do a darned thing.  You are better off using software that just marks the sectors so that the OS won't use them.  You will not notice much difference in the size of the HDD, certainly nothing worth writing home about.
Exactly!

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:57:22 PM »
Hello guys, good morning. :)

Thanks for you great explanations. Very helpful!

Take care and God bless. :)

Lisa_maree

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »
Hi

If you suspect a hard drive has bad sectors the HDD rejuvenator will attempt to repair the bad sectors and has a pretty good success rate. It will also display sectors that have delayed reads or writes which is handy if windows is running slow. Would i use the drive after it has had bad sectors? i say no. Drives are so cheap now it is  better to replace :). the you have a backup on the old drive  bonus. Is HDD rejuvenator better than Spinrite. I don't think so, but it is quick and can get a drive with bad sectors back long enough to image to a good drive.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:13:39 PM »
One last shot.
Spinrite is old technology.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:47:45 AM »
One last shot.
Spinrite is old technology.

... and it was marketed by Steve Gibson. Do I need to say any more?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:56:07 AM »
I see, but this HDDRegenerator software says "It does not hide bad sectors, it really restores them!".

Do you believe every advertisement that you read?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 04:13:57 AM »
There are two kinds of bad sectors (well, technically they are the same, but they have different effects).

Some hard drives have some "spare" sectors that aren't initially allocated. When the drive has problems reliably reading to/from a given sector, it marks it as bad on it's servo platter. Some of these will be used even on a "perfect" drive; all disks are going to have a few defects, some more than others- but the thing is you don't see these bad-sectors through software. The software is entirely unaware that any remapping is going on at all. S.M.A.R.T can be queried for this information, though.

once the drive starts running out of actual spare sectors (which is usually quite a bit after any S.M.A.R.T monitoring,such as that done by modern BIOS chips, has already told you the drive is failing), the errors start going back to the software and the filesystem, which has it's own corrective measures such as having two copies of the MFT, shadow copies of files, and it's own defect remapping.

The only kind of "bad sector" that can be fixed would be one that is marked bad by software mistakenly. I believe this is done at the file system level when reformatting or when performing a CHKDSK /B (CHKDSK /C in pure DOS).

a sector could be mistakenly marked bad if the power supply is providing the hard drive with a wavering power source, the drive is jarred slightly or bumped (which can also cause <real> bad sectors as well, of course), the cable is loose, frayed, or otherwise damaged, etc.

The thing is- you can fix that with the built in tools in almost any Operating System. chkdsk /B on windows and a reboot will "fix" those types of unrecoverable sectors. Also, reading their FAQ, I really cannot see what spinrite offers that a tool like chkdsk or fsck doesn't; aside from showing S.M.A.R.T drive info during use which is of dubious value (much like S.M.A.R.T itself)

EDIT:

Comprehending what I read on their site a bit more, it actually sounds like it might be  BAD for things- it states that it attempts to force the drive to remap a sector; but this doesn't make sense- the firmware of the drive will do this if it has trouble reading it, so what it's really doing is saying that the firmware's tolerance for error is too high and that it will force the drive to remap a sector that doesn't meet it's snobby requirements. This is bad because a drive has only a limited number of those sectors and it's absolutely stupid to waste them like this. The drive will fail faster- or more precisely, file-system-visible sectors will become evident faster, because there will be fewer spare sectors for the drive to use to remap  REAL bad sectors.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 04:24:32 AM »
I think that hard disk "repair" programs fall into the same category of software (ie snake oil) as do the RAM doublers that some older people may remember, as well as the registry cleaners of today and much "security" software. Spinrite does get quite a slating in some quarters.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 04:33:06 AM »
also, found this:

http://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/steve-gibson-is-a-fraud/

EDIT: links to here which directly debunks spinrite.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 04:41:44 AM »

steve-gibson-is-a-fraud

I didn't want to write that in case it was libel and CH gets a nasty letter from his lawyers, but the notion seems pretty widespread anyhow.

Nice quote from a page whose link I followed...

As for the people that swear by SpinRite, there are lots of people that believe in astrology, but that doesn't make it any more valid.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »
Yes that's another dog.
The main point being made here is that our hard disk drives do a good job of taking care of themselves. If you believe your hard drive is becoming unreliable, and the S.M.A. R. T. is not working properly, you can just reformat your hard drive with utilities in your operating system. During this process the hard drive firmware will take care of any bad sector issues.
Enough has been said about this subject. The point is you do not need to rub your hard drive with snake oil.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
you can just reformat your hard drive with utilities in your operating system. During this process the hard drive firmware will take care of any bad sector issues.

You seem to imply that formatting will fix any bad sectors. The whole point of the last several posts is that there isn't any magic fix for failing hard drives.

Also, am I the only person who hates the word "reformat". What's wrong with "format"?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
You seem to imply that formatting will fix any bad sectors. The whole point of the last several posts is that there isn't any magic fix for failing hard drives.
Yes, and that is documented.
Also, am I the only person who hates the word "reformat". What's wrong with "format"?
Yes, you are the only one who hates it because you know that it belongs in another context. We never  reformat a hard drive.
No, format is proper. It is not wrong. 'reformat is wrong' and everybody except you and me  will keep on using it. And you can not be sure about me.

Reformat is a term that would work in data base management system. It is a process to bring improvement to the system by a make-over of some portion of the data base format.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »
No, format is proper. Reformat is a term that would work in data base management system. It is a process to bring improvement to the system by a make-over of some portion of the data base format.

Yes. When you re format an arrangement or set of procedures or scheme you are altering its format. When you format a disk you are first destroying the filesystem and then writing a new blank one. To the operating system there is no difference between a disk that has been formatted 100 times and one that has been formatted once.