Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about Repairing Bad Sectors  (Read 8622 times)

Salmon Trout

Re: Question about Repairing Bad Sectors
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 04:41:44 AM »

steve-gibson-is-a-fraud

I didn't want to write that in case it was libel and CH gets a nasty letter from his lawyers, but the notion seems pretty widespread anyhow.

Nice quote from a page whose link I followed...

As for the people that swear by SpinRite, there are lots of people that believe in astrology, but that doesn't make it any more valid.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »
Yes that's another dog.
The main point being made here is that our hard disk drives do a good job of taking care of themselves. If you believe your hard drive is becoming unreliable, and the S.M.A. R. T. is not working properly, you can just reformat your hard drive with utilities in your operating system. During this process the hard drive firmware will take care of any bad sector issues.
Enough has been said about this subject. The point is you do not need to rub your hard drive with snake oil.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
you can just reformat your hard drive with utilities in your operating system. During this process the hard drive firmware will take care of any bad sector issues.

You seem to imply that formatting will fix any bad sectors. The whole point of the last several posts is that there isn't any magic fix for failing hard drives.

Also, am I the only person who hates the word "reformat". What's wrong with "format"?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
You seem to imply that formatting will fix any bad sectors. The whole point of the last several posts is that there isn't any magic fix for failing hard drives.
Yes, and that is documented.
Also, am I the only person who hates the word "reformat". What's wrong with "format"?
Yes, you are the only one who hates it because you know that it belongs in another context. We never  reformat a hard drive.
No, format is proper. It is not wrong. 'reformat is wrong' and everybody except you and me  will keep on using it. And you can not be sure about me.

Reformat is a term that would work in data base management system. It is a process to bring improvement to the system by a make-over of some portion of the data base format.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »
No, format is proper. Reformat is a term that would work in data base management system. It is a process to bring improvement to the system by a make-over of some portion of the data base format.

Yes. When you re format an arrangement or set of procedures or scheme you are altering its format. When you format a disk you are first destroying the filesystem and then writing a new blank one. To the operating system there is no difference between a disk that has been formatted 100 times and one that has been formatted once.