Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP, verification by typed in code or by disk?  (Read 3430 times)

Redeyes_Gambit

XP, verification by typed in code or by disk?
« on: August 23, 2005, 03:20:34 PM »
}{'lo eveyone!

Ok, I have a little puzzle here. I'm fixing up a dell (4400) computer and its been pretty much crushed under a trojen/spyware attack, I could MAYBE fix it with some programs but at this point it would just be easyer to wipe the HDD and start fresh (they don't realy have any data to lose because they only recently recovered from something similar from what I understand. Dont you just hate it when that happens?)

The problem? Well like any big company dell didn't ship their unit with a REAL windows XP home disk, just a "restore" cd  :P .

However there is a windows XP home code on the side of their case and I have a REAL windows xp home CD from one of my other computers, so my question is, when windows asks for verification of XP, does it go by the disk that was used to install it, or the code I type in? Can I use the CODE from their case with my CD?

I know Microsoft recently had some sort of anti-piracy content thing distributed with their windows updates, basically im just trying to avoid a licensing fiasco and get XP home installed from a REAL disk. Is this possible to do with my disk with their code?

Many thanx for the input and answers I have received before from you all, and hopefully with this!

edit: (woops! Shoulda put this under windows instead of software. O well.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:29:39 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Raptor

Re: XP, verification by typed in code or by disk?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
The code on the case may be for OEM whilst you have Upgrade or Full.

If it fits, it will most likely work.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: XP, verification by typed in code or by disk?
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 01:25:04 AM »
    W2k Rules!  ;D