Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing XP and removing Fedora??  (Read 7305 times)

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

Installing XP and removing Fedora??
    « on: May 26, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »
    I am trying to install Windows XP on a computer that has Fedora installed on it. My mother bought this from someone and the husband can't remember the password they used.... ???
    I don't have any information about the computer to help . I can't get passed the login page for Fedora to see any information about it.
    I put the window XP  disc in and it will boot from cd and then you can hear the disc spin for about 30 seconds or more then it stops and there is a black screen. I don't know how to get anything installed on here to use this thing.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    AmyC. ;D

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Installing XP and removing Fedora??
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
    Make sure the cd drive is the first device in the bios boot order and make sure you are using an original, retail XP CD.

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
      It is booting up from disc when it starts up. It say to boot from disc press any key... I do and it won't run.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
      There are only three reasons it won't boot from a cd or dvd:

1) The cd drive is not the first device in the bios boot order or
      2) The drive itself is bad or
      3) The cd or dvd is bad or not bootable

Are you using an original, retail XP CD?

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
        Yes, it's a retail XP disc.I'm going to change out the cd drive and try that next.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »
        And I take it back - there is one other (remotely possible) reason you can't boot from the optical drive and that's if the cmos battery needs to be replaced. And while that's a simple enough item to take care of it is, as I mentioned, really a remote possibility.

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
          Now I'm even more confused...
          I replaced the cd drive, the cmos battery and I tried it . Boot from disc, says it's checking config setup then goes black but never starts install. I switch out the hard drive with one from my sons computer. It won't start windows from that HD. It keeps rebooting. I had it boot fromm disc on my sons HD and it started to install. Is there something with the HD with Fedora that would keep it from installing? and my sons HD ...I don't know why it won't start windows normally...even tried safe mode.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
          No, booting from the optical drive bypasses the boot loader on the hd. But I don't understand something you are saying - you keep saying it says "boot from disc" - can you explain that please? Does it say that it's booting to the cd drive? Does it say if you want to boot to the cd drive to press a key? EXACTLY what do you see when you try to boot with a bootable cd inserted?

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:37:34 AM »
            It is boot from cd drive and says to press any key to boot.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
            If you didn't say that you'd tried the cd on another system I'd say the cd is bad. I'm sorry, I'm at a loss. Perhaps someone else will have some thoughts.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
            Please allow me a brief comment here. Somewhere in the Microsoft knowledge base it says a hard drive may need preparation for Windows XP.

This can be done with a computer that has an operating system such as Vista or Windows 7. The hard drive is connected as a slave drive and then in computer and drive manager you delete the existing partitions and create a new partition that is compatible with windows XP. Tad's all it takes.

Sorry I don't have the reference available nor do I fully understand why the pre-prep is needed, but it has been documented.

Ultimately, this can be done with some of the Linux live CDs that have some version of  GPart or other partition manager programs.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »
            First, I never heard of any such thing. Second, that would have nothing to do with the ability to boot to the optical drive.

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
              Yes the cd works, I'm reinstalling it on my sons which for some reason moving it from his pc to this one made the black screen come up asking how you want windows to start, (safe mode ...normally...) I put it on start windows normally and it won't start, it reboots and says the same thing. I will try what you said about making it the slave HD after it installs on the other HD.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »
              First, I never heard of any such thing. Second, that would have nothing to do with the ability to boot to the optical drive.
              Allan, it is not the CD drive. It will install on another Hard drive. It will not install on the hard drive with Linux on it. The Linux partition has to be deleted & replace with  any Windows compatible small  primary  partition. Sorry to interpret the thread. I am going to start a new thread on this issue. It might get long and boring.
              Carry on!

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »
                Ok It installed on my sons  HD and I put the other HD in as a slave and in computer>D drive>format...it is reformatting !! Thank you!