Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unformatting yields strange results  (Read 2190 times)

magicshamrock

Unformatting yields strange results
« on: August 23, 2005, 07:04:01 PM »
Used unformat.exe from Norton SystemWorks 2002. Most of the new directories have alot of the same files. Only a few of my original files are available. Most are gifs. Unerase didn't find a thing. No image was available.

It's like a few directories were copied over and over, almost a thousand of the same folders. What's happened here? How can I get my files back?

pcdoc4christ

Re: Unformatting yields strange results
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 08:36:29 PM »
Have you tried checking the Symantec website for a solution to the problem?

magicshamrock

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:01:02 PM »
Yeah, been all through there. Surprised at how little help I've found.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 07:10:01 PM »
...It's like a few directories were copied over and over, almost a thousand of the same folders. What's happened here? How can I get my files back?

It could be that something went seriously wrong with the program, or a virus produced the folders and files.

Pls explain why you used the unformat.exe software.  What were the events that led up to you using it, and what did you want the program to accomplish?

Doc

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 07:11:50 PM »
do you mean goback?
To Recover Files in NTFS:

Click Start, Run and enter %systemdrive%\Recycler.  Under this folder you'll see sub folders with names like:
S-1-5-21-1085031214-854245398-1060284298-1003

One of these is your user's Recycle Bin folder, you'll have to determine which.  Then open a Command Prompt Window and type: Start/Run and type in: CMD

CD\Recycled\<name of the sub folder>
Next type DIR

Locate the files with the file extension that you wish to recover. There may be more than one of the same type. These files will all be DC??.xxx where ?? is a number and xxx is the file extension.

Use the COPY command to copy all of the matching files out. For example:  COPY *.DOC C:\Temp

to copy all DOC files to C:\Temp. Now you can open these files and find the one(s) that you wanted to retrieve.  Once you've retrieved all the files that you need, type the following command:  ATTRIB -S -H -R INFO2

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:16:08 PM by merlin_2 »