Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer backup automatically  (Read 2949 times)

Little Marine

Topic Starter

Intermediate

computer backup automatically
    « on: May 27, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »
    I bought my Dad an external hard drive to back up his complete computer. I backed up his computer when I installed the external hard drive. He has XP pro. I looked under the back up utility but I couldn't find an automatic backup provision. Is there one in XP pro and if there isn't one is there software I can purchase for him to automatically back up hid system.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: computer backup automatically
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:32:57 PM »
    There is a backup utility, but most users don't like it. Instead they use either a free utility or a  product you buy.
    The explains the built-in utility.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions
    My recommendation, if you want to use it, is to try to backup just a few files, maybe some music. Then experiment to see what happens if you delete a file and then try to bring it back. This helps you understand some of the strange terminology they use. Once you understand it, you can set up an automatic backup.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:19:02 AM »
    I recommend Macrium Reflect. Everyone should use Disk Imaging Software on a regular basis. The best of breed is Acronis True Image, but it's not free. Macrium is the best free alternative (www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp)

Lisa_maree

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »
    Hi

Everybody seems to have a favourite and mine is Paragon drive backup. There is a free version without scheduler. But both the buy and free version backup in the back ground  and off course can have lots of different images of the computer say Monday Thu to Sunday.  Just google Paragon software

:) Lisa