Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: preventing program starting automatically when Windows starts  (Read 3423 times)

aj

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    While using Avast free antivirus and Windows firewall, I wished to turn off all functions of ZoneAlarm Security Suite without uninstalling ZoneAlarm.  To do this, I right clicked the ZoneAlarm  icon on the system tray then clicked Shutdown ZoneAlarm Security Suite.  However, when the computer was restarted ZoneAlarm also restarted. 

To prevent this, I went to the startup tab of the System Configuration Utility which contained a ticked startup item zlclient.  I unticked this but after restarting the computer this item appeared ticked.

I then opened the folder C:\WINDOWS\tasks which contained nothing related to ZoneAlarm.  I then looked in C:\ Documents and Settings\User Name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup which again contained nothing to do with ZoneAlarm.

I also opened the text file C:\WINDOWS\win.ini but I do not understand it

I gather that this problem may be solved by editing the registry but I do not know how to do this.

My operating system is Windows XP with Service Pack 2.  The ZoneAlarm Security Suite version number is 9.1.008.000.

The solution to this problem would be much appreciated

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: preventing program starting automatically when Windows starts
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:45:27 AM »
    1) Msconfig is a diagnostic utility. It should not be used to make permanent changes to startup processes.
    2) There is probably a setting in Zone Alarm preferences / options to start with Windows. Check for that option before doing anything else.
    3) If you can't find any other way, download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) and uncheck any Zone Alarm Entries.

However, if you are not going to run ZA, why not just uninstall it? Also, on a totally separate note, you should update XP to SP3.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »
    Start Up Cop might be helpful. Trial version.
    http://download.cnet.com/Startup-Cop-Pro/3000-2344_4-50213.html

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »
    Mike Lin's Startup CPL is Free and not a trial version and would make a far better choice...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aj

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
      The ZoneAlarm user interface does include a box to be ticked for ZoneAlarm to start when  windows starts. I missed this when first exploring the interface.  I "unticked" this box and the next time I started my computer the ZoneAlarm icon was absent from the system tray.

Thank you Allan

aj

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:14:57 AM »
        Not the end of the story!  While ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite was apparently shut down, I received a message from Zone Labs, or from its parent company, Check Point, stating that the website I was visiting might be a phishing site.  This possibility is concerning but the fact that the message could be given suggests that ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite had not been completely shut down notwithstanding other evidence that it had been, and remained, shut down.