Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building my first computer need urgent help!  (Read 3870 times)

Arsenalftw

Topic Starter

Beginner

Building my first computer need urgent help!
    « on: May 29, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »
    I'm building my first gaming desktop, and since I don't know too much about computers or their components, I don't really know if the parts I picked would actually work with each other, like if its compatible with AMD and whatever.

Heres what I've picked so far:
    CASE:
    AZZA Hurrican 2000 CSAZ-2000 Black SECC Japanese Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517010

HARDDRIVE:
    HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 (0F10383) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304

MOTHERBOARD:
    ASRock 890GX PRO3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157244

GRAPHIC CARD:
    MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564

POWER SUPPLY:
    COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171048

RAM/MEMORY:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

PROCESSOR:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

OPERATING SYSTEM:
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit 1-Pack - OEM

ADDITIONAL COOLING:
    CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015

QUESTIONS:

1) With the selected components, would they work together? Is everything compatible with each other? Would my motherboard work with an AMD processor?

2) Would this gaming desktop be able to run today's games in the highest settings? I'm talking about Crysis 2, Bad Company 2 and the Witcher 2

3) Would I be able to cross fire? Does my motherboard and the other parts allow it? And would you recommend me to crossfire the graphics card I have now with a duplicate or another one, or is that one card enough to get me by for now?

4) Ive read somewhere that the fans that come with the motherboard are standard fans and are actually kinda crap. My emphasis on this desktop is cooling, as I cannot afford to overheat yet another desktop, therefore how would I be able to replace it? And the fan I linked above, is that the kind of fan I just place on my case as an additional fan?

5) I would be able to upgrade individual parts later on right?

Thanks! I desperately need help as I'm so lost:(

PS

I know I've posted this before in a less constructed format, ignore that one please.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Building my first computer need urgent help!
    « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »
    Please dont take this the wrong way....BUT... The Concern i have is if you have the technical expertise to build this computer and have it operate correctly in the end without spending hundreds or thousands of dollars and ending up with a large paper weight in the end.

If you have a friend or someone you know who has worked on computers before and has been successful in doing so, i would consult with them to build your computer with them to physically assist you in the build.

We all started at one time not knowing what we were doing. Some of us had friends or someone to show us how to properly build it. And us others have learned by trial and error, where error can be costly if its not mixed free guts from donor systems. ( My learning was by trial and error building frankenstein systems out of dead donors, since back in 1989 most, along with myself, couldnt afford a $3000 computer. So my first was an 8088XT 4.77Mhz 640k Ram and CGA color display...was able to upgrade the one working box from 512k Ram to 640k, by use of flat head screw driver and adding 4k or 16k Ram chips. This was achieved with mixed guts from a business that was throwing the dead boxes away since they were upgrading to 286 or 386's. My failure with this first ever build of guts was only the dip switch settings fortunately, so once I got the correct dip switches set up for correct Ram count etc, I was then able to install DOS on its 10MB Hard Drive.)

I havent looked into how much all the parts will cost you, but most manufacturers do not warranty for customer errors like smoked or damaged parts.  This is something to think about.

As far as pairing up CPU with Motherboard etc, you should print out the specs of each part and make sure that they are compatible with each other. Also do research on google etc and look to see if there are complaints for hardware etc, which might give insight to a defect before buying into the hardware. Some sites even have star ratings that will show almost a consumer reports aspect of the specific motherboards and components.

I have learned NOT to buy something when it first comes out and be a quality tester for others at the expense of my own wallet , not to buy into any hardware blindly without research into if its good or bad, and whenever in doubt with building computers and its your first time, its best to assess the risk of being out so much money if you burn something up because you didnt have hands on help.

I fix computers on the side and I have had to tell customers who Epic Failed on new gaming computer rigs, what they did wrong, and that Core i7 is now smoked along with motherboard and Ram, and sorry you are out that much money, you cant put the magic smoke back inside once released at the cost of over $1000. This failure was caused by a loose hard drive that the user failed to screw in correctly. The drive slid out of the 3.5" HD bay and the aluminum HD body shorted across a Ram stick, and motherboard sending 12V onto the 5V side. And when removing the heatsink the Core i7 was roasted as well. Felt really bad telling that 15 year old who was in tears that there is no hope for the guts that he smoked, as well as the Parent who thinks that your a Computer Guru who can fix all... And you cant fix smoked!!!

Arsenalftw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »
      Hey thanks for your concern.

I've got a friend who built/builds computers and he'll be helping me physically assemble the computer together, and after doing some research, the components I've picked are compatible with each other, however I've got a question regarding overclocking.

What components can I overclock? From my understanding, overclocking is basically straining the component to perform better then its default settings, and I know that you can overclock the graphics card, but wouldn't that cause overheating? I'll be overclocking whatever components that can be overclocked and I'm curious as to will the fans provided in the case I've picked and the additional cooling fan I've picked be enough to sustain overclocking the graphics card whilst keeping the overall temperature to a minimum?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »
      Unless you really need to overclock, I would run the guts native speeds. Overclocking can lead to troubles if not managed correctly.

Biggest problems are Heat, Voltage Levels, and Timing

If you can keep the heat down with liquid cooling etc, keep good voltage levels without straining the power supply, and keep the motherboard and all of its components correctly timed without glitches your good to go.

You will want to check to see if the motherboard supports overclocking as for some dont. You will want to make sure that the Ram will take it as well. And some CPU's can be unlocked while others can not. You generally have to pay more for the ones that are unlocked.

Good to hear you have someone who can help you build this successfully.

Arsenalftw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »
        My main purpose is to game, and I'm not a huge fanatic about individual computer parts, so I'm guessing overclocking for me won't be necessary?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »
        You should be all set running native clock speeds. For gaming you will want 2 cores minimum, a good video card, and power supply that can handle the needs of the system which will be around a 500 watt power supply. When it comes to computers its ok to have a higher wattage power supply, because the system will only use what it needs from what is available. So for power supplies its allways better to have more wattage than needed than too little for the load demand.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »
        Unless you really need to overclock, I would run the guts native speeds. Overclocking can lead to troubles if not managed correctly.

I totally agree with Dave on this. Overclocking is overrated and also voids certain warranties. The latest build I've done for myself gets mad FPS, quick load times, high detail on every game I've played, and has no problems whatsoever. (You can see my specs by hovering over the "Specs" link to the left.) Nothing is overclocked, but I do run 2 video cards with CrossfireX.
        <====

As for your chosen hardware:
        You can get the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 for $20 cheaper than the 890GX.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

Differences?
        No on-board video, which you don't need anyway since you are getting a GeForce GTX 570.
        No support for 1866 memory, but you've chosen 1600 anyway, which both support.

Other than the colors of the bits on the board and very minor layout differences, I don't think you'll actually notice any difference in performance and you'll save $20.

You could also save another $10-20 with a good CPU heatsink/fan. Unless you're dead set on overclocking this thing, you don't really need a liquid cooler. While effective, it's unnecessary.

As for the power supply, 850 is a bit excessive. You could save $75 and get a 700. You might even be able to get away with a 650.

Of course, if money isn't an issue, you can ignore everything I've just said.  ;D

Arsenalftw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
          money isnt really an issue:p but thanks for helping:)

regarding crossfire/sli, im guessing my motherboard supports dual cards but one is a x 16 and the others x 4 so the other cards has to be substantially lower ( in terms of performance ) than the other right?

would you recommend me to get the graphics card I already had in mind just a single or cross fire an ATI card by getting a new motherboard?

Also I cant decide between these two cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-121-430&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

VS

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-127-564&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

which one is better in terms of temperature whilst playing games, and performance wise on games ran on the highest settings available

Arsenalftw

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:35:47 PM »
            I've found another card

MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127581

What card would you recommend? And is it worth going for a cross fire or is a single card like this just fine?

Also whats the difference between MSI, XFX, ASUS, etc they all have the same card but just a different name like

XFX HD-697A-CNDC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
            and
            MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

they're both radeon 670 2gb whats the difference?

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
            regarding crossfire/sli, im guessing my motherboard supports dual cards but one is a x 16 and the others x 4 so the other cards has to be substantially lower ( in terms of performance ) than the other right?

There are two 16x slots on that board. NewEgg has written it funny, so it looks like it is telling you two slots, but if you look again, it says "PCI Express 2.0 x16: 2". If you look at the board, the two long blue slots are both PCI Express x16 slots. The x4 slot is the little small one about 1" long next to the first x16 slot. The other slots are just normal PCI slots. The cheaper board I suggested has 2 x16 and 2 x4 (located next to each x16 slot) and only 2 PCI slots.

As for which card to get, if you only wanted a single card, you could get either. If you want two cards, you would have to go with the ATI one since this board doesn't support SLI. SLI and Crossfire cards must be identical cards.

The difference between XFX, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, PowerColor, Sapphire, Jaton, etc. is only who makes the card itself. The chipset/GPU is made by Nvidia or ATI, but the card is actually assembled by one of the other companies. Nvidia and ATI do not manufacture cards. It's kind of like Intel and AMD. They make processors, not computers. Companies (or individuals) buy their chips and slap them into their products.