Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Keeps Freezing  (Read 2437 times)

MissKira82

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Keeps Freezing
    « on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
    Please help!

Windows 7 Hp G62 Notebook

Pc keeps freezing within 5-15min of starting.  Have to hold down the power button to restart.  PC also runs hot!

I have tried running every diagnostic program on my pc. Also virus and malware.  Every program says my pc is fine.

My pc WORKS IN SAFE MODE.

I don't have the disk to reinstall windows and only have 1 date (a few days ago) in my system recovery.

Please help.  Any ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer Keeps Freezing
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »
    What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

MissKira82

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
      No new hw or sw, no virus, no error messages.   I think around the time it started happening my pc did an automatic update and I downloaded them but not sure.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »
      I'd like to try a clean boot since you say it runs fine in safe mode.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.