Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PSU question  (Read 3601 times)

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
PSU question
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:08:27 AM »
I just was looking at speccy are these voltages normal for a PSU? i thought that usually they are a little lower than this. I was wondering if my video card was underpowered from these results (i ask this because of the recent dll blue screens i have gotten from the nvidia driver). I don't know that much about power supplies thanks in advance.

CPU CORE    1.392 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER    3.312 V
+5V    4.919 V
+12V    11.904 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD    4.892 V
CMOS BATTERY     3.232 V
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

Salmon Trout

Re: PSU question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
Perhaps you could tell us:

Your cpu type
Your motherboard brand and model
Your PSU  brand and model

?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:52:20 AM »
As Salmon Trout said, more information would help.

Do you have reason to doubt the quality of your PSU?

The voltages seem ton be normal. how accurate is your instruments and how much training have you had on measurements? In some conditions Digital Voltmeters do not give accurate readings. Also, there are other dynamic measurements that are not made with a voltmeter by itself.

The general practice is to test a PSU by direct substitution. If a New PSU solves a problem, it stands to resin that nth old PSU was the problem. Beyond that, laboratory equipments is needed. Such as an Oscilloscope, which costs  a lot more tahn a PSU.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 02:10:02 AM »
The voltages seem ton be normal. how accurate is your instruments and how much training have you had on measurements? In some conditions Digital Voltmeters do not give accurate readings.

It looks like he is using some kind of hardware monitor software. Yes, they do look pretty normal.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
It looks like he is using some kind of hardware monitor software. Yes, they do look pretty normal.
He stated in the 1st post that he is using Speccy:  http://www.piriform.com/speccy
They all look normal.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »
Speccy
Didn't see that! Go to know.  :)

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
im using and AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+  CPU with a ASUS M2A-VM motherboard. PSU brand and model im not sure, id have to open up the case to find that out (which ill do tomorrow).

The only reason that i would have to doubt the quality of the PSU is the fact that when i have the GPU under extreme load (i.e. video encoding or gaming) the screen that polygonal flashes that pop up on the screen and disappear within a matter of seconds. I know that this can be a video card issue but i thought that it could also be a power supply problem if it (the GPU) was underpowered.  Nvidia cards from what i have heard from others are notorious for burning up, one family friend said that he burnt up three in a year (im not sure how, that seems a little excessive to me but that's what he said).
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:31:29 AM »
No way am I an expert of Graphics cards. I have read that the tend now is to get away from power hungry graphics systems. As technology improves, power requirements should go down.

Try testing the PSU with addition load and measure voltage again. A 20 watt Halogen lamp will put a heavy load on the 12 volt line. You could also put two lamps on the 5 volt rail to see how the PSU behaves with additional load.

Some graphics cards nave bad  performance when when overheated.An easy check is to get a huge fan and point it at the graphics card and see if it does better.

If the PSU is good, why not consider a better Graphics card?

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:41:27 PM »
well, I know that it has been a long time since i last posted on this thread, (been busy with college). The video card finally bit the dust.

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
Now I begin the search for a new ATI video card, since I haven't had troubles w/ their cards yet (knock on wood)

Here is the card I'm currently looking at
http://shop.amd.com/US/_layouts/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=HD587XZNFC&region=us-en

OH also question, is pci x16 compatible with pci x16 gen 2.0, or pci x16 gen 2.1

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Perhaps you could tell us:

Your cpu type
Your motherboard brand and model
Your PSU  brand and model

?

talontromper

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »
im using and AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+  CPU with a ASUS M2A-VM motherboard. PSU brand is Ultra atx 650w power suppy