Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Brand new computer running slow with no virus. Why?  (Read 5358 times)

LovelyxOdd

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Brand new computer running slow with no virus. Why?
    « on: June 02, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »
    I have a brand new two month old Dell XPS 8300, Windows 7, Intel Core i7 2600 3.4ghtz, 8gb Ram, 64bit, 866gb free of 919gb hard drive.

Computer worked and ran amazing until a couple days ago. Now computer is very slow and constantly sounds like it's running, the processing noise is almost always audible. Windows and programs respond with great delay and it pretty impossible to use computer unless restarting. After start up computer acts normal for most part. It seems to mostly have issues after it's idle, even for short periods of time.

I scanned the computer with McAfee, Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, all showing no viruses or trojans of any kind. I have not installed any new programs in the time frame for the computer to be behaving this way. I did a basic disk cleanup, defrag and scan disc with no improvement afterwards. I really have no clue what to look for or what could be the cause.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you have any other questions about the computer, I can answer them as well. Thanks so much.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Brand new computer running slow with no virus. Why?
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum  help everyone with all computer questions.

Before any advice, please check with the OEM. You may have a rare case of a computer that fails after delivery to the customer. Dell has very good support. Do it while it is still in warranty.

LovelyxOdd

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »
      I didn't know new computers could fail, but that is a possibility I suppose. I will contact Dell tomorrow and see what they have to say. I was hoping to fix the issue myself without having to ask them, but I guess it's worth a shot. Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 05:48:57 AM »
      1) Do you have more than one AV installed (you mentioned Kaspersky & McAfee)? If so, that's certainly part of your problem.

2) Boot to safe mode. How does it run?

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
      Maybe try to defragment your pc. It may make your computer feel snappier.  At least, I feel my computer does  for me although I'm still using win vista. and it wouldn't hurt to do so anyway just to see if it would help. NOTE: link I posted is for win vista, but win7 should work similar if not 100% same.

Another thing, if you don't mind starting from scratch, you could try to use the restore disc if you got one to restore to the way it was when it left factory. But I suppose you'll want to see if your problem gets solved first before going that way. :P

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
      2x3i5x,
      His PC is only two months old.
      Let's wait and see what Dell tells him.
      It may be an interesting story.  :D

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
      2x3i5x,
      His PC is only two months old.
      Let's wait and see what Dell tells him.
      It may be an interesting story.  :D

of course,
      I suppose you'll want to see if your problem gets solved first before going that way