Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Windows 7 better than XP, SP3? Any opinions appreciated  (Read 5514 times)

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Is Windows 7 better than XP, SP3? Any opinions appreciated
    « on: June 03, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »

Machines is Dell Deminsions 4700 week 20 of 2005 built. 
    2.5 GB of memory
    I have installed all the frameworks .NET from 1 to 4...( I was told these were needed to run Webkinz in Firefox ver 4, which Flash still crashes in too much to enjoy using it).
     I have searched and do not find answer to this question. I am wondering if all the bugs have worked out of Windows 7 and how is it better than XP if it is? I am an avid Webkinz player and this year my machine seems to be slower.
    I am considering installing Window 7 and IE9 although I just ran EVEREST and discovered that most of the drivers are 2001, Video card is a Legacy, Video Codecs are generics all with 2001 dated drivers. What is best action I should take?
    I realize the Video card is hardware so that means I need to buy a replacement card, is this correct?  My machine need some upgrading but how much I wonder. What is the minimum that I should consider?
    Also I have a mid range DSL ISP which is all budget will allow at this time.
    I will be happy to send any report info you need.

ThomasTheXPUser

Hopeful

• Remember me? :-)
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • ThomasTheXPUser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Is Windows 7 better than XP, SP3? Any opinions appreciated
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
    Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check for incompatibilities, etc. you may encounter if you upgrade.
    Remember : an upgrade install is not supported from xp to 7. you will need to reinstall programs, backup documents, etc.

advisor
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

BSOD image source : ToastyTech IE is evil page
    Can't sleep! Clowns will eat me!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary code and those who do not.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 08:00:41 PM »
    Yes...
    It's better...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
      Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check for incompatibilities, etc. you may encounter if you upgrade.
      Remember : an upgrade install is not supported from xp to 7. you will need to reinstall programs, backup documents, etc.

advisor
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Thank you so much.  I did not know that It would mean so much extra work. I don't think I want to upgrade at this time. It would have to be a BIG improvement over XP for me to do that.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:54:34 PM »
      IMHO The best choice is to just wait a bit and save our money.
      Soon you can buy a Desktop PC wit windows 7 64 bit and it will outperform you present computer, yet cost less that what you invested for  the one you already have. If you already have a good monitor, save a little more money.

Maybe you could donate  your old computer to someone who does not have one. They likely can get a free CRT monitor from a repair shop. That way two people can feel good. You and the recipient of your generosity. You fell better 'cause you have a new PC. They fell better 'cause they never had a PC before.  And you will help the economy. Which really needs some help.

moka

Greenhorn
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »
      Hi
      first try to check  if your computer is designed for xp if so
      you will have to upgrade to vista and dont for get to check your
      ram capacity if ft is designed for vista or win7
      dont forget to check the processor
      then you will get the answer
      thank u
      Eng moka

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »
        Thanks moca. My machine is XP SP3. Was just thinking about upgrading if it would be easy. Decided that the time and effort are not feasible for me at this time.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »
        you will have to upgrade to vista and dont for get to check your

Ignore this, Pattybrew. Vista has nothing to do with it and this advice makes no sense. Check Microsoft's upgrade adviser and make sure your computer is going to meet the requirements. You DO NOT need to upgrade to Vista.

You don't even really need to upgrade to Windows 7 unless it has a feature that you really need. Otherwise, XP will continue to work fine. Someday, when you are ready to get a new computer, you can upgrade the OS then.

pattybrew

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
          Ignore this, Pattybrew. Vista has nothing to do with it and this advice makes no sense. Check Microsoft's upgrade adviser and make sure your computer is going to meet the requirements. You DO NOT need to upgrade to Vista.

You don't even really need to upgrade to Windows 7 unless it has a feature that you really need. Otherwise, XP will continue to work fine. Someday, when you are ready to get a new computer, you can upgrade the OS then.

Thank you. I will not be upgrading to Windows 7. No time or desire to spend ALL the time to set it up. As far as I know it does not have anything that I need.