Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: D-Link wireless card install  (Read 6089 times)

noblesad

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    D-Link wireless card install
    « on: June 06, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
    I just recently purchase a HP pavilion P6750z computer with Win7 OS. I'm trying to install a wireless D-Link DWA-556 PCIe adapter card. The card installs very easily into a PCIe slot. However when I boot the computer after installing the card, I get the windows blue screen. If I remove the D-Link card and reboot, everything is working just fine. I believe I am having a driver problem (not sure) because I did find on the D-Link support site something about using an Atheros driver. My question is, if I can find the correct Atheros driver, how do I install the driver and get it to work with the D-Link adapter when I can't get a clean boot with the adapter card installed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: D-Link wireless card install
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:05:34 PM »
    Try installing the driver first.

GlitchPC

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
    If you do not have the installation software for your device look here:  DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter

Once you arrive at that page...click the Support Resources link and then Drivers to locate the driver you need based on your operating system.

This page also includes the manual for your device, as well.

noblesad

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
      To install the driver before the card, where in the windows OS do I install the driver file so the boot will find the driver file? Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
      The driver installer should be an .exe file, isn't it?

GlitchPC

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »
      See attachment

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

GlitchPC

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
      To be more specific...I'm assuming you're in the USA?

Download the Version 1.40 driver to a location easily accessible on your PC...Downloads, Desktop, etc.

Extract the file to its default location.

Navigate to the Setup folder and double-click the Setup.exe file to execute it and install the software/driver(s) for your hardware.

noblesad

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
        The driver file is an .exe file. Running the D-Link driver .exe file before installing the wireless card seems to have worked fine. I still wonder why the instructions with the card and on the D-Link site still only have you installing the card first and then the driver from the CD. It would be nice if they had something on their site to recommend installing the driver first if there is a problem.

GlitchPC

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »
        Can't answer that question for you but, it's always a good idea to install the driver, first, before adding any new hardware.

Glad you have it working... :)