Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replaced memory, now laptop wont start properly  (Read 3982 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Replaced memory, now laptop wont start properly
    « on: June 06, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »
    Dell Inspiron 6000. Its currently has 512MB PC2 4200 ram, and windows xp. It was working fine yesterday. I wanted to increase the ram, so I first went to the site crucial.com to find out how much memory it could take, and it reported it could take upto 2GB of either PC2 5300 or PC2 6400. So I figured the fact that it had PC2 4200 meant that the laptop was running with slower speed ram. Anyway I got 2 1GB sticks of PC5300 RAM, and replaced the PC2 4200 with these sticks. Now the laptop would power on, the fan would come on, and then in two seconds the laptop powered off. I reseated the memory, and tried again. But same thing, the laptop powered on, the fan came on, and then the laptop shut off in two seconds. I then replaced the ram with the original ram, seated it properly, but still same thing. And now Im at a loss to figure out why? Any help?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Replaced memory, now laptop wont start properly
      « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
      It appears that there is a difference of opinion as to what RAM that computer is designed to work with. Here is a link to the CNET review of your computer. http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-6000/4507-3121_7-31257675.html
      I have found that Crucial as good as it is is not always correct on it's recommendations. teunorth
       P.S. Have you tried the "old" RAM module in more than one of the available slots?

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »
        The are two ram slots and two 256 mb sticks of 4200.  So one goes in each slot.  When I replaced with the 5300, I had two 1G sticks 5300.  So I used both the slots in either case.  But for some reason the laptop doesnt boot up now.  Is there any chance I could have messed up something by using the PC2 5300 memory in case they were the wrong sticks of memory.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
          Unlikely--however reinstalling your original ram should have had you up and running again. However i am not sure that you have understood what i was asking you to try. Given you have 2 original 256mb  modules and 2 ram slots. One at a time try each ram module in each of the ram slots and see if one stick will get you running again. Then if putting the 2nd in causes the computer to malfunction then that ram module is likely defective.truenorth
          P.S. I assume that via my link you have noted that even the  4200 ram is NOT the stated type in the CNET review.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
            trueNorth,

I know I saw in the review link that you posted that the correct memory was PC2 3200. 

Anyway I did what you suggested and I found out that both the ram sticks are good, but that when installed together, one of the slots is bad so that causes the computer to shut down.  I found out which slot is bad.  I want to put in more ram so I guess if I put in the maximum 2G RAM in the good slot and leave the other slot empty, it should be okay right?

Why would the other slot suddenly have gone bad though?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:41:27 PM »
              Yes if you can find out for certain what the correct ram type is then you could put a 2gb ram module in the "good " slot. However i would NOT purchase ANY ram modules until i verified the type required. Dell ought to be able to verify that for you. Even their web site should list your computer and indicate the correct RAM. I would also want to ensure that in fact it is expandable to 2gb. I believe i did see that on my link. But do NOT rely on the Crucial site for that (i found them to have been in error on that score before). It may "take" 2gb but not recognize it all. Take your time and research it before buying anything. As to why the slot is defective --probably improper removal or insertion of a ram module causing damage to the slot. Are you sure it is seating properly and the end locks are engaging when fully inserted? truenorth

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
                Yes, it seems like it seats properly, all the way in with the locking mechanisms holding it in.  But I guess maybe the strips that are in the slot are damaged and probably got so when I might have put something in the wrong way. 
                Ill check up about the max RAM possible and get that one stick of whatever the max ram is. 

By the way, can you find out any computer review on cnet?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:20:12 AM »
                  Try it and see. truenorth

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
                  If it hasn't been suggested yet i would suggest travaeling to Crucial.com and run the online scanner...
                  From all the symptoms it sounds like bad/incompatible RAM...
                  You may have purchased to wrong type/timing..etc...
                  It can be returned however if it was a reputable Vendor.
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »
                    Hi patio,

I already went to crucial.com and found out the max memory it could take and also what memory.  PC2 3200.  But tell me one thing, is it possible that some other connection somewhere like the lcd or the hard drive could be loose and therefore cause the computer to shut down like it does?  Or is this power on, shut down behavior just indicative of bad ram or defective ram slots?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:27:32 AM »
                      Shashgo, You seem to be confirming via your last post that YOU have determined that you used the WRONG type ram in your computer and are NOW aware of the correct type. My suggestion would be to now determine for certain how much ram the computer will recognize (looks like 2gb) and go with that in the one slot that you know works. I hate to say that NOTHING else could cause your current issue but as your own experimentation has shown you where the fault lies why would you be pursuing other possibilities at this stage?
                      Patio, Quote from OP's original post = "I wanted to increase the ram, so I first went to the site crucial.com to find out how much memory it could take, and it reported it could take upto 2GB of either PC2 5300 or PC2 6400." Which resulted in my cautionary advice to the OP. truenorth

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
                        trueNorth,

I went and bought a stick of ram of the right type pc2 3200 and inserted it into the good ram slot.  And guess what it worked.   There is another laptop I have which is an hp pavilion dv6000.  It has the same problem, that there is no display.  And even though I tried new ram sticks pc2 5300 in the ram slots, the display never came on, just the same power on and then shutoff after 2 seconds

Can I deduce from this that these ram slots are bad, or could it be something else?  I have already done a hard reset, but its stil the same result

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 10:41:45 AM »
                          I am very pleased that you have now the correct ram in your computer and that it works properly (minus one damaged ram slot). You do not mention whether the "new " single module is a 2 gb and what it is allowing as usable.
                            I note your further request for assistance re you other computer. I would urge you to create a new post for that issue and please give as much info on it as possible--better too much than too little. I am going to note this post as solved so as other members will be aware of that. It does NOT close it and members including yourself if needed can still view it and add to it.truenorth

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
                            Thanks for your help with this laptop, truenorth

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 11:40:27 AM »
                              You are most welcome.truenorth