Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computers in Acidic Environment  (Read 2814 times)

bkr

Computers in Acidic Environment
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
I do IT at an environmental laboratory. We have dell optiplex 330s, and similar towers, operating 4 or so feet from an acid bath 24/7 in (a highly corrosive environment), and as such, they last maybe a year before they're reduced to beep codes due to corrosion on the mobo, ram, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice on extending these machines' short lives? I've started with sticking boxes of baking soda in the case, but what about possibly applying an anti-corrosive coating?

Thanks!

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Computers in Acidic Environment
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
Computers aren't really designed to work in that kind of an environment. The only thing you could really do is completely seal off the case from the environment in that room, but then you run into ventilation problems for the computer, leading to heat build-up. Years ago I built a system used outdoors at a dock on the sea, constant exposure to moist salty sea air. I managed to find a heavy-duty steel case electroplated with zinc designed for such an environment (don't remember who made it). I don't know how resistant zinc is to whatever you've got going there, but something similar might help protect the insides better. There's still the issue of ventilation. If you seal it off, you're going to get heat problems. Might be able to dissipate that with liquid cooling, but it might not be enough.

One of the newer plexiglass cases might also even be more resistant to corrosion. If sealed off and with a closed cooling system, like liquid cooling, it might make the computer last longer.

You could also move the computers to an environmentally controlled room, but you probably would have done that already if the computers didn't need to be where they are.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
Allen Bradley (Rockwell Automation) industrial computers are used worldwide for these type of applications.  Contact your local representative.

immental1200

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 11:51:43 AM »
What about moving the computers into the room next door. Using extension cables so you can still have screen, keyboard and mouse etc next to the acid. You can also have input output boxes on the walls for a more professional job. If you need USB ports use a USB hub, and if you need instant access to DVD Drive etc, use a USB powered one.