Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: uninstalled vista ,reinstalled windows xp oon a dell inspirion 530 lost audio dr  (Read 2937 times)

kilowatt

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi,  i was having trouble with vista on my computer so i uninstalled vista and reinstalled windows XP. I can not get any sound now. Device manager says i need drivers for:  PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller  VGA Compatible. I have tried endlessly  on the dell website but no luck. Does anyone have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Welcome to Computer Hope.
    Did the  Dell not have  a recovery partition built-in?

Before doing a full install of Vista or XP, you should have a copy of all the drivers that were on your system.

Your Dell has a service Tag number on the bottom or back. Using the tag and the serial number you can get exact locational of  the drivers.

But in some cases there are a large set of drivers for that model and it may take several treys to get the right ones.

You need the completed set of drives for your machine. The audio may not come up until all over drivers are in placer. Actuality, that makes sense. It would not do to  have audio and not video,

For addition help, you need to give the model number of your Dell. Just the model number, not the tag and serial. That you need on the Dell site.

If you received the machine with Vista, you should keep Vista on it. Some users prefer to go back to XP, but that is seldom necessary.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Also, when trying to install the particular drivers for vista, right-click the installer first and choose properties and go to compatibility tab and tick on run this program on xp and hit apply. Then proceed to installing.

kilowatt

Topic Starter

Thank you so much for the help, i am up and running again. Thanks once again, you guys are a God send to us newbies.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      And thank you for posting back. Were you able to find the right driver or switch back to vista?