Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware Installation Prompt during "installing devices" Windows XP  (Read 5152 times)

Sarcor

So I accidentally deleted "something" from my drivers while trying to free up more space for my computer. I had no idea NTLDR was so important. SO now I tried to repair Windowx XP and during the "installing devices" portion of the restore, a hardware installation prompt comes up and says,
"The software you are installing for this hardware:
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC.
Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop the installation now and contact the hardware vendor for software that has passed Windows Logo testing.
Do you want to continue installing the software for this hardware?

And I would totally press "Yes" if I could. I cannot, however, since it stopped installing devices halfway through so the keyboard and mouse do NOT work. I have tried multiple mice, both wireless and usb, it does not matter. How do I get past this prompt and/or get this NTLDR back so I can go on my merry way?

Computer is a XPS400 DELL. 1 Gb of RAM, service pack 3, onboard SATA hard drive, I don't really know what the sound and video cards are, but I do know they are the ones that came with this computer when I first bought. I used Norton on this computer. And this is an authentic Windows CD.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:39:49 PM by Sarcor »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hardware Installation Prompt during "installing devices" Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
You've installed incorrect or bad drivers somewhere along the way trying to get something to work...
Boot to safemode...then go to Control Panel and remove any Yellow?? devices...
Then reboot to safemode with Networking...logon to the Dell site and enter your Service Tag # from the machine...
Then DLoad and reinstall all appropiate drivers for your OS...chipset drivers 1st.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "