Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Driver needed - free???  (Read 5641 times)

Marky-s

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Driver needed - free???
    « on: June 13, 2011, 01:48:34 PM »
    Hi all,

First-time forum user, happy using computers but not too familiar with how they actually work...

Been having some computer problems recently - more on that in another post.

Part of my desperate attempt to "fix" my problems had me uninstall my driver for the audio on my Asus X-series motherboard (K8V-MX) according to the user guide. Unfortunately, on trying to reinstall the driver from the support CD, my PC just stopped. I've tried it twice with the same result. The audio is "ADI AD 1888 SoundMAX 6-channel audio (acoding to the user guide).

I'm trying to find the appropriate driver somewhere - anywhere - on the internet, but every site I try wants to install a driver update program and then charge me for any driver that I want to download.

Can anyone please tell me where I could actually get a free driver?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks all,

Marky-s.

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: Driver needed - free???
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
    If you want a driver for a Asus motherboard, then you should go to the Asus site (All drivers are free)

http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1

Also, i'm no expert, but i've got a feeling your infected.
    11 cheers for binary !

Marky-s

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »
      Hi,

Many thanks for your quick response. I shall try the Asus website as you suggested.

I'm intrigued - what makes you think that I might be infected? I'm running AVG Internet Security for protection.

Cheers,

Mark.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 03:49:48 AM »

I'm intrigued - what makes you think that I might be infected?

but every site I try wants to install a driver update program and then charge me for any driver that I want to download.

I'm not sure what is directing you to sites that charge for drivers, seems suspicious to me. If you want to make sure you can follow these instructions and make a new thread in the Virus section
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
      11 cheers for binary !

Marky-s

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »
        Hello again,

With reference to the sites wanting payment for drivers, I've been looking for the drivers via Google, so I guess the problem is those sites are universal driver "dealers"...?

Anyway, I tried the Asus website you suggested, and I even seem to be struggling there. I get as far as letting the website go for an automatic search for the model of my motherboard, when it just locks up my computer. I have to use Task Manager to close the window, adn then Intenet Explorer shuts itself down.

I'm going to try the "find the model" option on my next go...

Thanks for all the help so far.

Mark.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »

Well, when i search for drivers for your motherboard all the links I've found are free.
        Like here
        http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&source=hp&q=asus+motherboard+drivers+K8V-MX&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=892ba85e0eab5cf1&biw=1366&bih=625

Which suggests to me there is some kind of malware / spyware infecting your system. I now i said that i wasn't an expert, but are you !!  And then your PC shutsdown when on the Asus site. Personally, I'd get it confirmed that your not infected, but at the end of the day, its up to you!!

Try searching for the drivers using a different browser.
        11 cheers for binary !