Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to - Split one DVI Signal to DVI Monitor and VGA Projector  (Read 3902 times)

BlueWolverine

Hello,

I'm using Windows XP Professional (and on the machine in question, I think it's 64-bit).  I don't have the option to replace/upgrade the computer, monitor, or projector in question but I need to know how to make this work.

We have a CAD tube with a Monitor.   The Computer has a DVI port (exactly 1) and the monitor accepts a DVI cable.  Great.

What we want is to be able to simultaneously display the same video on a projector next to the machine.  The projector accepts VGA.

We have a VGA - DVI adapter, so we can unplug cables and swap but then CAD Guy can't look at his work up close while presenting.

I bought a DVI splitter on amazon.com, but when I plug it in, the computer monitor acknowledges a signal exists, but displays only black, and the projector for the most part appears to not be aware there's a signal.

If I'm reading right, the Monitor cable has a DVI-D Single Link, the Adapter is DVI-D Dual LInk, and the Male (1 in the 2-1) is a DVI-D Dual Link.  The Female ends of the splitter look like they are universal.

Please help me understand how to split this signal.

Thanks,

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: How to - Split one DVI Signal to DVI Monitor and VGA Projector
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
DVI is a Digital Sync signal and VGA is an Analog Sync signal. You can handle this 2 ways, the computer might have a slot available for a video card upgrade in which you can install a video card with dual video out, even if video card is dual DVI, you can convert one of the DVI's to VGA with adapter and then set up Dual Display config to be cloned display mode.

Other option is to use a video splitter box that takes in 1 signal and outputs 2. But not sure if those boxes like to switch between native say digital to analog or not. For problems like this I usually upgrade the system with a video card that allows for dual display. The splitter box if single DVI in and Dual DVI out, I am not sure of adding an adapter to the one DVI out to convert to VGA if it will negotiate a Analog VGA Signal Sync or not.