Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Outlook 2010 in Win XP  (Read 2789 times)

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Problem with Outlook 2010 in Win XP
    « on: June 16, 2011, 02:30:36 AM »
    Hi,

I used to use Outlook 2007 as my email in my laptop with XP. Then I bought a new desktop with Win 7 Pro (64) and I installed Office 2010.
    So far so good... no issue. But I had to reformat the laptop's HD then installed Office 2010 (same CD).

In the desktop I have "personal folders" then all my different email addresses within (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***,, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, *** Email address is removed for privacy *** etc...). In the laptop (with XP), there is no "personal folder", so depending on the email address the mails are sent to I have to look for them. All my emails are POP3 (except Hotmail). Besides, I can't create subfolders.

I compared both OL, everything is set the same way in both computers, just in the laptop the "personal folder" is missing, and I see no way to add it. In "account settings" there is no way to get "personal Folder". I looked in MS help, and I see there is a "backup personal folder" to install with XP, but before making any mistake (and being in more trouble), I would like to ask for help.

Can anyone help me please?
    I thank you very much

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Problem with Outlook 2010 in Win XP
      « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 05:35:36 AM »
      There is no Outlook 2010 expert around???  ???  :(

I even have a new issue today. I just created a new email account with the same POP3/SMTP server, I did the necessary settings to get it in Outlook,  it works to send and receive, just the new account doesn't appear in my folder list  ::). So I can send my emails from this new address... but I receive them in another one  ???

I would be very grateful for any idea. :)

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:32:00 AM »
      Would you like to copy everything in Outlook from the old system to the new one? If so, with Outlook closed copy the Outlook.pst file from the old system to the new one, overwriting the Outlook.pst file that currently exists on the new system.

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:15:15 AM »
        What exactly do you call "old system"? I did a backup of all my .pst files to an external HD when I reformatted my HD, but since then and I installed the new Office (thus Outlook), I received many emails.

Could you please guide me step by step? Many thanks. I already lost all my Yahoo Messenger history (with private and business messages), I am scared of losing more. I asked for this issue in another post.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »
        Well, if you do as I suggest you will lose all of your new emails, so that won't help. Sorry.

But let's see if we can figure out what you're trying to do. When you say you don't have a "personal folder", exactly what are we talking about. You must have at least one personal folder in order to have mail accounts.

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:09:04 AM »
          "Before" in the laptop with Outlook 2007, I had "Personal Folder" on top of all other folders and I could receive all my emails wherever they were coming from in this one and set subfolders such as job, house, banks etc....
          "Now", only in the laptop, I have no Personal Folder. The folders Outlook set up are my different email addresses (except the last one) + archives, and I have Inbox, drafts, Sent, Deleted etc... in each one. I moved all my Inboxes to my Favorites in order to retrieve my email but I can't set up subfolders. I could show you in a private message.

I guess I should have to uninstall and reinstall...  ???

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
          What happens if you go to Data File Management and add a new personal folder? And there's nothing that can be done by PM that can't be done here on the forum.

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
            I already tried that, it adds a "personal Folder"... in my default email, not on top of all.
            Sorry, I don't want to post here my email addresses, I thought a screenshot or something could help.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
            Okay, you know what. Please do send me a pm with a screen shot. Thanks.

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »
              can you tell me how to insert a file... I couldn't from Paint, so I copied it to my desktop and attached an Hyperlink, hoping that would work.
              Thanks

Allan

• Mastermind