Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive recovery problems, windows 7, PLEASE HELP ME  (Read 2746 times)

VoxViolet

Hard drive recovery problems, windows 7, PLEASE HELP ME
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:54 PM »
My computer is a complete clutter. I'm a digital artist and i need to clean out everything so that my computer can run faster, and so i can reduce the lag on my tablet. Basically, I need to optimize what I have. So far I've backed up all of my essential data on an external hard drive, so I'm ready to begin the process. I have little to no experience with computers, so please be patient with me.

I run windows 7 on my computer, but i lost the disk. I need to find a way to restore my computer completely without removing my operating system, Is this possible?

I've been struggling with this problem for a week now, please help me.

-Sincerely, S.R.H.

hedgehog88

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hard drive recovery problems, windows 7, PLEASE HELP ME
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
    Hi VoxViolet,

If you have been using your computer for a long time, chances are you will not get the optimal desire you once had without reformatting your computer. Recovery would have required you to create a backup when you first got your computer. Seeing that you lost that disk, reformatting would be out of the question.

I'd say start uninstalling unnecessary/unused programs from your computer. I'd recommend using Revo Uninstaller. It has a feature which not only uninstall the program and its folders, but registries, icons, shortcuts etc. The process is pretty straight forward, but feel free to reply and PM me for assistance.

Give that a try and reply back once completed.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
    I'd say start uninstalling unnecessary/unused programs from your computer. I'd recommend using Revo Uninstaller. It has a feature which not only uninstall the program and its folders, but registries, icons, shortcuts etc. The process is pretty straight forward, but feel free to reply and PM me for assistance.

To add to that. I think you should open the start menu and type msconfig goto the startup tab and disable everything not related to your anti-virus software. That should make things a lot faster. Also consider doing a disk defrag if you haven't already.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

hedgehog88

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
      To add to that. I think you should open the start menu and type msconfig goto the startup tab and disable everything not related to your anti-virus software. That should make things a lot faster. Also consider doing a disk defrag if you haven't already.

Haha...those were my next suggestions. :P

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »
      I'm a digital artist and i need to clean out everything so that my computer can run faster, and so i can reduce the lag on my tablet.
      What particular problem are you really encountering? There are a number of reasons why you would experience this problem. From hardware to software. Heating,unwanted process/background process running or infections, corrupted files or software. It could also come from any recent installed softwares, incompatibility,changes or updates. Please try to narrow down as to what,where, or when you are experiencing this problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:31:31 AM »
      Apparently many people are having trouble with hard drives, or else others are recommending to come to this site for help. Either way, I have some thoughts I wish to share with others.
      The best and most practical way to make a complete reliable backup of all your material is to just have another hard drive expressly for that purpose. In fact, the hard drive can be made a clone of the original drive. To that end, it is not necessary to buy a new hard drive that is very much larger than the original. Your original drive probably has enough space. A hard drive that contains a complete copy of everything is the best way for most users.
      My best recommendation is to buy a new hard drive very similar to the one you already have, perhaps slightly larger, but the same technology and other specifications.
      This is more than just my personal opinion. Although there have been many improvements in hard drive technology in the past two years, there also have been some stumbling blocks along the way. Hard drives below 500 GB are based on earlier technology has proven to be very reliable. reliable failure  data varies somewhat according to who is examining the data. Statistically some of the more sophisticated drives been manufactured recently are having higher than average failure rates. So with that information one can easily see it is not wise to invest money into technologies that are very close to the cutting edge when you want something to be reliable as a backup medium.
      Again, the best advice is to get a backup method in place before you start making any changes to your system. Do the backup first, make sure the back it really does work the way you intended it to, and then start changing things as you wish.

hedgehog88

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:03:31 AM »
        Bear in mind this user has little to no experience, as stated in his post.