Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my Yahoo Messenger ID has disappeared  (Read 5292 times)

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    my Yahoo Messenger ID has disappeared
    « on: June 13, 2011, 06:58:54 AM »
    Hi,

It is my first post here, and I hope you can help me. Otherwise, could you please tell me where to post. I am coming here because I don't see any other place to go (it is not a browser issue...).

I have 2 IDs in Yahoo, one for Messenger (I have version 10), and since the email has been infected, I created another one for email. I have been on Messenger for years, always solving my issues on my own, they are really bad, they seem to know nothing about their product. But this time, I just can't. I went to "help" of course, chatted to a representative, tried to contact a tech, tried all the solutions they suggest (including uninstalling/reinstalling Messenger) to no avail. I even installed the version 11, although I never use Beta versions, because they told me that NO CLIENT has an issue with the new version  ;D

I work with Win XP SP3, an my browser is Firefox 4.0.1. I could use Messenger until May 26 normally, but now my Messenger ID is not recognized. EVERY TIME I try to login, I am sent to my email ID  >:(

I finally yesterday created another ID and it works!!!  :o. I have a long history, that I saved, as some contacts are for business. I have lost it  :'(

Could you please help me to solve this problem? I would be very grateful.
    Thank you so much, and please redirect me to another forum if I am not at the right place.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: my Yahoo Messenger ID has disappeared
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
    You would still need to open your old account to import/export contacts in Ymail. Just not sure if there is another software to do that but I doubt there is one. You may have been hacked other than someone literally knows your password or username. Make sure you have better protection softwares installed and updated. Always Practice safe browsing.

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:36:14 AM »
      Thanks Jason,

It is impossible for me to open this account (ex-email and messenger). I can access the other 2.

I thought I had a very good protection: AVG (running in the background), MacAfee, Malwarebytes. My password was a bit complicated, but of course, for a hacker...  >:( What else should I do?  :(

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 05:07:39 AM »

I thought I had a very good protection: AVG (running in the background), MacAfee,

If The McAfee you have running is anti-virus, then that is not recommended. You should only use 1 anti-virus.

Also AVG has started to lag behind other anti-virus software. I recommend Avast or MSE.
      11 cheers for binary !

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:32:30 AM »
        Ok, I can do that... but I still don't know how to solve my problem. Any idea?

umbra

Beginner
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
          Try to sign in from another pc !
          May be you have this issue only on your pc. If this is happening you could format it and try after, or try to find an restore point when messenger was ok.
          Trying to don't waste my time.  :)

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33:39 PM »
          Yahoo is the only one that can solve this i'm afraid.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 02:38:09 AM »
          but now my Messenger ID is not recognized. EVERY TIME I try to login, I am sent to my email ID 

If you mean forgotten passwords then see here -> http://www.amitbhawani.com/blog/how-to-recover-yahoo-mail-account-password/
          Also when logging in to Yahoo messenger, there is a mail icon to click, open and directly logs in(if the feature was enabled previously or used) to that account. If you can access Ymess. and have same passwords using on logging Ymail, then you might be in luck. This is how I've set my Yahoo messenger account accessing my Yahoo mails. I remember one time I have forgotten my different password assigned on Ymail, but since it is set to access automatically on Ymess. when clicking an icon, I was still to view mails and retrieve the account by the secret question during registration(see above link).

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 05:42:50 AM »

Try to sign in from another pc !
          May be you have this issue only on your pc. If this is happening you could format it and try after, or try to find an restore point when messenger was ok.

I do not recommend formatting your PC to fix your problem, thats VERY over the top.
          11 cheers for binary !

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 06:41:50 AM »
          Reply to umbra:

I do not recommend formatting your PC to fix your problem, thats VERY over the top.

Apt user name, there, since he'd certainly be casting a "shadow" over the person's PC if they unecessarily formatted the drive without having first made a backup...

umbra

Beginner
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 03:29:10 AM »
            Kill me with stones :)). I am joking :), yes i agree that format your pc is not such a great idea, but sometimes it solves a lot of issues.
            Trying to don't waste my time.  :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:32:52 AM »
            Kill me with stones

I can't tell if you appreciate my Latin scholarship or not...

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 05:28:15 AM »
              Hello and thanks to all.

My issue is not solved yet... after many emails exchanged with Yahoo (before posting here), so I am hopeless about this way  :(

I reformatted my laptop a few weeks ago, too much job to backup EVERYTHING to do it again. With the risks of losing something anyway. But it was working afterwards. I know perfectly well my passwords, I have 2 different IDs (3 now) with 2 different pass.

Of course, Jason, I did all that many times... they talk about PASSWORD recovery, not ID!!! And they send me to my mail ID.

On the other hand, I think a hacker would be more interested in my bank accounts.... and I have no problem.

I didn't try to connect from another PC, I am not in the US now... with some health issues. I would have to go to a cyber cafe. I am curious to know if I can connect from my desktop but I won't for a few months. I didn't do a restore, there is a program I would lose, I need to secure that before

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 08:08:29 AM »
              I didn't try to connect from another PC, I am not in the US now... with some health issues. I would have to go to a cyber cafe. I am curious to know if I can connect from my desktop but I won't for a few months. I didn't do a restore, there is a program I would lose, I need to secure that before

This could be the issue right here....are you sure you are going to the US Yahoo site ? ?
              I know google and some other large portals have different sites in different countries...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ashley1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
                ah YES  ;D. It has been hard enough (they are stubborn), but I succeeded. And in any case, I used to login normally wherever I was!!!

Actually, I am not really a beginner, I have worked all my life in computers... I started with Win 98... or even before  ;)
                And I "thought" I knew pretty well Win XP  ???