Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ACER Aspire 7730 series laptop won't boot  (Read 9453 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
ACER Aspire 7730 series laptop won't boot
« on: June 20, 2011, 05:41:22 AM »
OK have an issue with a laptop I'm trying to fix for a friend. Will attempt to supply as much info as possible.

ACER Aspire 7730 series
Win Vista Home Basic 64 bit (I assume it's 64bit with the RAM)
4GB RAM
Intel core duo T5800 2.0ghz
160GB HDD
DVD RW
Outside of manufacturers warranty

OK now to the issue. When I plug the laptop in the power button lights up blue. When I press the power button nothing happens as in no fans start and the HDD indicator does not flash and the power button just stays blue. Also of course the screen does not power up in any way.
I did notice that the keyboard had been unseated, as in it was bulging in the centre (he says it's not been dropped).

I tried using a different monitor plugged in with HDMI and VGA just to tick the box and nothing.

I tried leaving it unplugged over night and nothing changed, tried without the battery attached and nothing. I then tried a Static Discharge by removing the RAM, HDD and then holding the power button down for 1 minute. Re-attached everything and still nothing.

I then pretty much dismantled the whole laptop as I wanted to check connections. Everything inside seemed fine, there did seem to be some slight liquid damage (staining)  in the inner case but I checked over the MB and other components and there seemed to be no lasting residue. He did tell me it just suddenly stopped working as in not after he spilled a drink on it.
I re-seated the keyboard and re-built the whole thing and it's back to the way it was....
Blue night nothing happens.

I have considered the need to flash the BIOS but as I'm not insured I would rather not do something that would make things worse. But if this is going to be the next step, I would like some advice on the best/safest way to do this.
As far as I know I would need a flash drive (which I don't seem to have 'lost') and a copy of the BIOS and then hold Fn and ESC on pressing the power button. But never done it before so need to be careful.
I do have and external drive and DVD drives available if it can be done that way.

Any constructive advice gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance

For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: ACER Aspire 7730 series laptop won't boot
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:52:03 AM »
I would try it with another matching power cord before resorting to flashing the BIOS...
A flash may not accomplish anything anyways.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:24:49 AM »
OK I have no similar power supplies, so ordered one from eBay. Will get back to you tomorrow or day after. Thanks for the quick response Patio.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:39:36 AM »
No problem Mulreay...good to seeya again.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:42:31 AM »
No problem Mulreay...good to seeya again.

Cheers buddy, nice to be back.  ;)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
...I have considered the need to flash the BIOS but as I'm not insured I would rather not do something that would make things worse. But if this is going to be the next step, I would like some advice on the best/safest way to do this.
As far as I know I would need a flash drive (which I don't seem to have 'lost') and a copy of the BIOS and then hold Fn and ESC on pressing ...
You can't flash the BIOS, if it won't power up.  All symptoms indicate it's dead.  That's pretty much how all laptops die, they just won't turn on.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
You can't flash the BIOS, if it won't power up.  All symptoms indicate it's dead.  That's pretty much how all laptops die, they just won't turn on.

Thanks for the post, not sure what to do with that.... erm OK I will just throw it in the bin may be? Or just continue with help that means I'm working to an end.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
Since just about everything is on the motherboard, it would require a motherboard replacement.  IMHO, not worth the cost.  I had the same problem with a Dell laptop I was trying to fix.  Sold it to a vendor for more than I expected.  The vendor parts it out & makes a tidy profit by selling the screen, keyboard, power adapter, etc.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:08 AM »
Since just about everything is on the motherboard, it would require a motherboard replacement.  IMHO, not worth the cost.  I had the same problem with a Dell laptop I was trying to fix.  Sold it to a vendor for more than I expected.  The vendor parts it out & makes a tidy profit by selling the screen, keyboard, power adapter, etc.

I fail to understand why your first comment is to bin this laptop... You have basically made your mind up without offering some other options... You take some things that I have done, and thought 'OK that's it, let's bin it boys'.

I left CH for a while to get my head together over some personal issues and I'm back to this?

So you say I should tell my Friend that his Laptop that is 'literally just' out of warranty he should forget the 100's of pounds and just get a new one...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »
Have you tried with the new power cord/supply yet ? ?

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »
Have you tried with the new power cord/supply yet ? ?

Purchased from eBay yesterday. Was hoping it would have shown up today but looking like it will be tomorrow. Will post as soon as I have it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:42:36 PM »
somewhat related: I have a Toshiba Satellite 440CDX that can sometimes take 10-15 tries before successfully booting.

I've gone through and worked on a few laptops and I've never had it "die" quite like this. All of the ones that failed for sure gave a beep code or flashed the problem on their panels. If I was to follow the logic that "laptop not starting=dead" I would have thrown out all my laptops by now. I don't doubt that absolute indifference to external "stimuli" can be a "endgame result" of a dead laptop, but I feel that is a premature conclusion at this point without following other avenues, such as a new Power Adapter.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »
OK I tried the new power adapter and no joy. The blue power light still lights up but does not respond when pressed. Any other ideas chaps?