Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AOL browser and emails  (Read 4118 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    AOL browser and emails
    « on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
    Bit of a long shot but does anyone use AOL per chance?
    My friend uses AOL both as her browser and for her emails. (she has Vista by the way, and her AV is AVG).
    The only thing that she has just installed is the latest Java Update and CCleaner, no other changes have been made for weeks.
    We are communicating via a trusted website forum with no problems to date, and yesterday she also posted me from her AOL email to my hotmail account with no problems.
    She has just posted via the web forum that when she now sends mail to my hotmail account (and to another of her friends who also has a hotmail account), that they are returned as unsent?
    I've asked her to see what the error message was but in the meantime, not knowing much about AOL email, has anyone any ideas?
    Are there any settings or something that need altering, and why has this all of a sudden happened within the past 12 hours?
    Regards

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: AOL browser and emails
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
    If she's using an AOL browser, she's working with an antique and needs to move up with the times.  Show me any source of browser usage statistics that even mentions an "AOL browser".  There no longer is an AOL browser except for some antiquated thing.    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_Explorer as a historical reference. 

I recommend she dump the "AOL browser" and AOL email.  A Google gmail account would be a good option.

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:56:08 PM »
      Thank you Soy,
      I've now opened an account with AOL (temporarily) and got onto their email system (to see what's all about).
      Can't see anything untoward apart from, as you say, why AOL.
      There is nothing in there to block emails unless you specifically state an address/site.
      I agree and think that she should use another account!
      Will get back and nag her, but it's nice to hear some feedback from this site.
      Thanks
      Regards

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »
        Just an update as l'm finding it difficult to contact her at the moment.
        She has however opened a hotmail account and got in touch. I posted her and she received this.
        Sorry it's all so vague at the moment and l really appreciate any input.
        To digress, i'm with Free.fr who are really just my ISP, are brilliant in the services they provide, but l can't stand their in-built email system. I switched to Thunderbird, using them as the supplier, and have had no problems since.
        If she can't recieve hotmail emails through AOL's email system, but can through hotmail, then it is unlikely to be AVG causing the stoppages, it's got to be AOL themselves?
        I think she's going to be happy with just the hotmail account, but l was just intrigued as to why AOL seems to be barring these and not others.
        Anyway, will keep everyone posted.
        Regards

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
        If she can't recieve hotmail emails through AOL's email system, but can through hotmail, then it is unlikely to be AVG causing the stoppages, it's got to be AOL themselves?
        Right.  hotmail is not a normal POP-type email account.  It can be set up in email clients such as Outlook Express, and other Microsoft email clients because Microsoft specifically includes the capability add a HTTP-based hotmail account.  So, I'm not surprised to hear to she can't receive hotmail emails via her AOL email service.