Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU running too hot?  (Read 13133 times)

Madoc Comadrin

Re: CPU running too hot?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 05:28:04 AM »
I re-re-rechecked fastening and as far as I can tell it is as it should be.
Its tight, does not move or anything.

Weird thing happened when booted after that.
Before loading OS I got error that said "Overclocking had failed".
Only thing had done before was yesterday when I lowered CPU offset voltage from 1.4V to 1.35V.
But I had booted many times after that without any problem.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »
I re-re-rechecked fastening and as far as I can tell it is as it should be.
Its tight, does not move or anything.

The fact that it does not move does not necessarily mean that it is tight enough. How tightly did you tighten the screw? The heatsink needs to be pressed quite hard onto the top of the cpu case. Normal heatsinks have a strong spring clip which is designed to make this happen. Your cooler has a screw arrangement and it may be that the screw is not tightened enough. Be careful however. Also...

Before loading OS I got error that said "Overclocking had failed".

Sounds like maybe the clock settings are not standard. Have you checked that the bus speed and multiplier are set properly? We have already established that the Vcore was 50 millivolts too high for that cpu. Maybe other things are wrong too.

Did you actually set the BIOS up?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:49:50 AM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
How tightly did you tighten the screw?

Or screws. I am going to study the way this cooler attaches to the CPU.

Madoc Comadrin

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
The fact that it does not move does not necessarily mean that it is tight enough. How tightly did you tighten the screw? The heatsink needs to be pressed quite hard onto the top of the cpu case. Normal heatsinks have a strong spring clip which is designed to make this happen. Your cooler has a screw arrangement and it may be that the screw is not tightened enough. Be careful however. Also...

Sounds like maybe the clock settings are not standard. Have you checked that the bus speed and multiplier are set properly? We have already established that the Vcore was 50 millivolts too high for that cpu. Maybe other things are wrong too.

Did you actually set the BIOS up?

Those screws are as tight as dared to tighten them. The motherboard creaked under pressure.

About bus speed and multiplier, how do I know if they are properly set or not?
In BIOS most things related to CPU are on "Automatic" by default and I haven't touched them because I don't know what exactly they do.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
About bus speed and multiplier, how do I know if they are properly set or not?

With stock BIOS settings, the Phenom II X4 955 processor runs with a 200MHz bus speed and an 16.0x multiplier that is used to reach the final core clock of 3.20GHz.

Also, some of the AMD forums report that the 955 is stable down to 1.25 volts Vcore; plenty of people report them stable at 1.30 volts

Madoc Comadrin

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »
Bus speed is 200Mhz and multiplier is 16.