Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: excel 2007 help.....pivot table and charts  (Read 2865 times)

blinden1983

excel 2007 help.....pivot table and charts
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »
i'm trying to create a straightforward invoice and budget tracker in excel. right now i have 3 worksheets in my xls.

the first is the main page. it has 4 columns: project #; planned budget in $s; invoiced amt in $s; remaining $s (=planned minus invoiced). except for the invoiced amt column, all the columns are already populated.

i want my co-workers to be able to be able to input invoices as they come in into another worksheet. that worksheet will have the following columns: project #; invoice amt; vendor name; employee name

i've tried creating a pivot table that will populate with just project # and invoice amount data as it comes in throughout the fiscal quarter/year and is entered in the table described in the paragraph above.

basically i want the "invoiced amt" column on the first main page to continually update with the $ amt info as it is entered. i'm running into difficulty because there are multiple invoices per project #. so i can't simply populate the pivot table with the project #s right off the bat. they have to continually update and coincide as the info is entered.

i hope this makes a little bit of sense. obviously i am not an advanced excel user by any means. any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks very much

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: excel 2007 help.....pivot table and charts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »
I haven't worked much with pivot tables.  So, I may not be able to offer advice on them.  But, if I were doing this project, I'm pretty sure I'd want to use Access instead of Excel.  Access reports can automatically update when additional data has been entered into a database. 

Do you have any knowledge of Access?  Do you even have Access in your version of Office?