Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Background sound constantly on  (Read 2438 times)

PO

Background sound constantly on
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »
I have a 4 year old laptop that constantly has sound running in the background even when no programs are open.  What I am hearing is an Apple tech program (I don't own any Apple products) and what also sounds like movie trailers and tv shows.  Another curious thing is that the mouse "sound" keeps clicking even though I am not using it, and a pop up window showing that an internet explorer tab has been recovered even when the program is not open.  This started when I had a new screen put in a few months ago, and I have tried to research how to make it stop.  This only occurs when I have the wireless internet connected (which is password protected).  What can I do?

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Background sound constantly on
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:38:15 PM »
Post first your laptop specifications. OS, Processor, Hard Disk Drive (Total Size and Free Space), Memory, etc.

Probably there is a hidden program running that cause the strange sound. Or the pop up window.

I suggest after you list down the specs, go to this link first http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html and follow all instructions by Computer Help experts.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 05:42:19 AM »
Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

alexK

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
That Background Sound you hear originates from your Wireless Router.
I have had this a couple of times.
Change the Channel on the Router and restart.

The problem is the Radio frequency. I cant remember the technical term for it. You can simulate this problem between two AM/FM radios. Set one of the radios at any frequency (best result on Shortwave), then turn the dial on the second radio for a very different frequency (wave length) and you will find one or even two spots where the second radio will squeal, or pick up "noise" from the first radio. You can further manipulate this phenomena by turning both dials at the same time and create that WW2 sound. Another way to create "noise" and (really) broadcast is to connect one side of Radio speaker to the "Zero" side of the walloutlet (no bull). Thus your picked-up "noise" could come easily from a nearby neighbour. I have heard from people with (older types of) hearing aids that complain of those strange sound or noises.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
I disagree...
I suspect he's infected.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "