Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Access files on external hard drive  (Read 4076 times)

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Access files on external hard drive
    « on: June 22, 2011, 02:04:10 AM »
    I have two windows 7 machines both with the same OS  windows 7 Home Premium one will access files from the external drive the other won't. The one that does not access tells me access denied with no permission,   I have followed Microsoft instruction to gain permission but does not work. I have tried folder access and files like MS word to change ownership but does not work. Could it be a bug on the computer? I even tried to access the file on a old Windows XP access with no trouble. does any one have solution would be a great help. Ojas
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Access files on external hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »
    Create a profile on the computer having access denied with same user name and same password as that of the system that the data was originally created on. This may act as passthru authentication with the file systems data security.

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
      « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
      Create a profile on the computer having access denied with same user name and same password as that of the system that the data was originally created on. This may act as passthru authentication with the file systems data security.

Thanks will it a go but I think the old computer  user is  listed as "User" if so what should I do on the new Windows computer? Ojas
      Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »
      Thanks will it a go but I think the old computer  user is  listed as "User" if so what should I do on the new Windows computer? Ojas

Just create a new user account on every PC you have, Name it Ohas if you like. Password protected, administrator. On all machines.  Log in to account at least opnce for each machine.