Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Picture is blocking desktop screen  (Read 2783 times)

mjdslc4

Picture is blocking desktop screen
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:35:21 AM »
I have a HP mini , running XP home edition with no CD/DVD Rom and no external drive.
 My daughter up or downloaded a picture and does not know where or how it got there.
 The pic and border is covering the whole desktop, I have a cursor with nothing to "click on". I can not use Windows functions at all.
 F8 configuration options, (safe modes) show black screen. cursor but no function.
 Tried to restores, last known configurations to no avail. Tried safe mode with command prompt, entered ANSI.sys and got in,
 but in safe mode can not delete etc.
 Got into pictures but can not find the picture that is blocking desktop.
 Got into control panel display, again can not identify this photo file to change it.
 I got to this form looking for DOS commands.  It seems like the photo is in between DOS and Windows to me...????
Diagnostics is not effective, there is nothing wrong with the system it says.
If I can kill the picture, life may be fine.... any suggestions on how to identify and delete?

I thank all for any guidance or idea's !

mjdslc4

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Picture is blocking desktop screen
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »
In order to take out your desktop icons and tool bar etc, I would believe that it would have to be an application that is trying to run full screen at say 1024x768 where your resolution is far less. When it is like this though, you should be able to CTRL+ALT+DELETE to get to Task Manager and be able to kill this application that has taken over your screen.

Also if it were the strange case where an image was able to stretch beyond your native resolution, you should be able to right-click on the screen, go to display properties and change the background to say no background image displayed and have it back to normal.

There is a feature called active desktop, but I have never seen active desktop provide for something to run and force to a larger resolution beyond the viewing area of the native display settings.