Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD Writer not found on computer  (Read 4551 times)

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

DVD Writer not found on computer
    « on: June 23, 2011, 06:31:57 AM »
    Dell 5150 windows xp home sp3. Installed a new CD/DVD writer and it doesn't recognize it. No "found new hardware"  I've enabled it in the bios but still no go.  Is there some kind of driver issue?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: DVD Writer not found on computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
    Is jumper set correctly if an IDE drive Master, Slave, or Cable Select? Or is this a Sata Drive?

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
      Jumper is set to cable select, like the old one.  The box says interface is E-IDE/ATAPI

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:31:15 AM »
        So by this statement "I've enabled it in the bios but still no go" can we conclude that the actual device (as it is called by the Mfgr.) is being properly identified there? There are no drivers required for CD/DVD optical devices. They are plug and play. There is usually software but it is for the burning/playing of data to/from the device and really the user need not install that and can install/use alternative preferred software if desired without adverse effect on the device. What was it that prompted you to replace the previous device? Is there a light visible on the front of the device at computer start up? truenorth

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:41:33 AM »
          The original device was an older model that came with the computer when I got it.  It was a CD r/w but only a DVD reader.  It also would not work, and could not be found on new hardware searches.  Upgraded to this model.  Upon power up, the front led will not flash, as does the floppy drive, which runs fine.  I get the error message, Drive 1 not found, serial ata SATA-2, drive details: Drive ID not known.  when I insert anything into the device the front led will blink in a steady fashion then stop.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:57:58 AM »
            It sounds to me as if the computer is expecting to find a SATA device. If the previous device was installed but NOT working then the question becomes -why not? Given that it was connected in precisely the same location and manner (IDE cable and Cable select) does NOT ensure the new one's proper operation (as the other one did not work). So is the optical device alone on the cable it is on or does it share with say a HDD? Do you have another available IDE ribbon cable available inside the computer? If so transfer the drive to it and change the pin select to "master". Have you enabled IDE optical devices in the BIOS? truenorth

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »
              I'm really not sure this is a SATA device, since the box says E-IDE/ATAPI and nowhere does it say SATA etc. But the plugs do fit and the other one the sales person wanted to sell me had a different pin connection in back (wouldn't fit).  Not sure why the other one wasn't found also but it is the same problem I'm dealing with on this one.  The drive is probably ok, it's a computer issue.  I have moved the drive to the second spot, which is open (there are 2).  The error message follows the drive.  I will try the master pin change and give it another go.  i have enabled all the drive ports in bios.   

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
                Please provide the manufacturer and model from the drive.truenorth

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:37 AM »
                  It's an LG model GH22

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 04:27:21 AM »
                    So now I've tried: a different IDE cable, moved the jumper to master, put the device into both slots, tried 2 other drives one sony and another LG, went to the dell site and did a few recomended updates bios A05 to A07 and a 'chipset update' and some kind of driver update plus 2 more small dell utilitys, actually tried playing a cd,dvd the unit will close,spin but the front comms light just blinks(does this on each of the 3 drives I've tried), Dell is useless, they want money, more than I paid for the drive.  It's got to be a software or computer issue.  It was like ths when I got the computer (it's used). I have XP home edition, when I got it I reformatted the drive with the dell recovery partition thingy which brought it back to right out of the box condition, reloaded everything could I have missed something?  The error on startup is 'drive ID: unknown' how does it know the ID? does it download it every time you boot, or is it stored somewhere?  The HD and the floppy have ID's on the setup screen.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
                      • Programming Blog
                    • Certifications: List
                    • Computer: Specs
                    • Experience: Experienced
                    « Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 04:44:37 AM »
                    This may seem obvious, but did you check device manager to see if there are any yellow icons.
                    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:35 AM »
                      Yes I have. It shows all okay, even the IDE channels primary and secondary.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »
                        I am still pondering your issue.However i note that this computer is available in both desktop and laptop types. Given what you have physically done to date re your issue i feel safe in believing it is the desktop version we are dealing with. Because you obtained it used you may NOT have access to the manual. So here it is. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/om/WD846A02.pdf
                        I have not read it through but you might gain an advantage if you refer to it for your issue. If you have access to another computer that you can try that optical device on (don't actually need to physically put it into the tower).Remember to change the pin settings to slave or cable select (try both unless it is master)Then you can confirm that it is NOT the drive (as i feel confident it is not) and then that possibility will have been eliminated. I haven't as of this post reviewed the actual optical device you have. But i will for possible incomparability issues. I gather you have never had an optical device working in this computer? truenorth
                        P.S. Depending on what is causing your issue there are alternatives to an internal optical device installation (requiring the purchase of a case but not replacing the current optical device). But let's not go there yet.

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
                          The manual is available from my desktop so this may mean it is the desktop version.  Any other ways we could tell? And it has been of some help but I have exhausted it for this problem.  The front 4 leds are used for error identification and according to the manual the configuration of leds (3 left ones on) when the error occurs gives several options to look into which I have done.  Any idea how the system recognizes the drive or ID's it?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »
                            earmic, Ok i have had a chance to review the LG GH22. It seems to be a fine optical device and i see no issues with an IDE connection ability. I am including a link to the product description site which at the bottom of the page has a link to the update drivers location. The head scratcher in all of this for me is the fact that both the old and the new drives have not worked. Given that all optical drives are enabled in the BIOS and these type of devices are "plug and play" it is a conundrum as to why you are getting the results that you are. I believe if you have followed my suggestions that new drive has been on 2 different IDE cables in the same computer. The 1st where it was cable select and sharing with a HDD. The 2nd where it was master on a separate cable by itself.Given that in the 1st instance the HDD is working that eliminates the cable and the MOBO connection in my view as being part of the problem. I don't know if you have tried the new drive in another computer yet. I do expect it to work there. The one thing we have not tried yet is to again connect it to the IDE cable that the HDD is on and select slave for the optical drive.I am also including a site for the proper use of IDE cables and their differnces for possible assistance.
                            http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html
                            http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/news/Details.aspx?NewsId=22798
                            please keep us informed ,truenorth
                            P.S. Do you have the ability to contact whoever you bought the computer from to ask them why the original optical drive did not work?