Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Uhm. Kind of a confusing and unusual problem.  (Read 3986 times)

Jordan111391

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Uhm. Kind of a confusing and unusual problem.
    « on: November 29, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »
    I was using the program "MagIcDIsc", and I have no idea how it happened, or what I pushed, but quite a few icons on my desktop and all my program file icons have changed to the "MagIcDIsc" icon. They won't open now, either. (Internet explorer, Guitar Pro, A few games, AOL Instant messanger). I tried to do a system restore but It won't open either. It's like all the files on my computer are trying to open through MagIcDIsc. It's very irritating.

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: Uhm. Kind of a confusing and unusual problem.
      « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:57:02 PM »
      MagicDisc (freeware) http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

Please uninstall MagicDisc
      Since you have used System Restore already, you may need to re-install MagicDisc then uninstall it again

If System Restore is corrupt you may have malware installed

Jordan111391

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
        I did uninstall it. I know how it happened now. When a file wasn't recognized it asked to open with another file, and I clicked Magic Disc. I did it again and now their all different files.

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
          When a file wasn't recognized it asked to open with another file, and I clicked Magic Disc.
          yes but MagicDisc is now gone, so the file associations for those 'files' should have reverted back to default, ie How can the MagicDisc icon exist if its fully removed?

How to change or select which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Another one with Pics: http://www.overclock.net/t/115945/how-to-reset-folder-file-type-associations-and-default-execution-protocols

Easy File Associations for Windows XP: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

How to Set Default Programs for File Extension Associations in Windows
          http://www.msigeek.com/5758/how-to-set-default-programs-for-file-associations-in-windows

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
          yes but MagicDisc is now gone, so the file associations for those 'files' should have reverted back to default

They'll remain that way until they are associated with another program. Associations don't revert themselves.

Jordan, it sounds like you may have associated EXE or LNK files with Magicdisc, for which an uninstallation wasn't necessary.

What version of Windows are you running?

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
            all my program file icons have changed to the "MagIcDIsc" icon.
            The 'Windows' default associations will revert back, when "MagIcDIsc" is fully removed

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
            The 'Windows' default associations will revert back, when "MagIcDIsc" is fully removed

The association was made by the Original Poster when they chose it in the Open With Dialog. Uninstalling an application will remove associations that the application knows about, such as those it associated with itself, but it would defy the Windows Logo guidelines for an uninstaller to remove associations created by the user.
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.