Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Constant Long Beeps On Start-Up  (Read 8947 times)

JaysonTaylor86

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Beginner
    Constant Long Beeps On Start-Up
    « on: July 12, 2011, 12:49:38 AM »
    Hey there, I haven't done something like this before, so I'll try to post all the info that will hopefully be beneficial!

Computer name : OWNER-8AD2CE7EF , using windows XP (5.1. Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
    System Model : MS-7211
    BIOS : Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory : 510MB RAM
    Page File : 549MB used, 1977MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I use AVG, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner occasionally.

My problem happens when I turn on my computer. It will immediately beep loudly for 6 seconds, pause, and then beep for 6 seconds again continuously with a black screen. I've waited to hear how many beeps it makes to try to find a code, but the beeps never stopped (I waited for about 2 minutes). Sometimes my computer will start up normally, Example: I'll turn it on in the morning, but it will start beeping every time I try to turn it on. I'll come back an hour or two later and try again, and it will work fine. Sometimes if I try turning it on a couple times after it doesn't work, it will start up fine after a couple attempts. I've also noticed my computer isn't handling certain video games well anymore , they've become extremely slow! I've also noticed an overall decrease in speed on my computer ... Not sure if ties up with the beep problem but I would deeply appreciate any input.

thankyou!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Constant Long Beeps On Start-Up
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
    Check here on BIOS beep codes http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#08
    I am wondering what games you are running on a 512 mb RAM? Have you tried cleaning this PC and reseatting certain components, making sure they are firmly in place.

JaysonTaylor86

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
      I've checked that site before I posted and I didn't really understand the codes. :( It just keeps beeping. Doesn't stop.

I played World of Warcraft for like 3 years on this computer, quit it, and switched to Starcraft II. I do suffer from some lag occasionally. Starcraft has become extremely slow since I've noticed the beeping problem. It used to run fine and before the problem.

The first time my computer had a beep attack was when I think it may of overheated (I'm guessing). It was a hot day and it went black and started beeping. I hadn't cleaned the dust out in over a year. So I used an air compressor to get all the dust out (there was an insane amount..). Maybe one of the components got messed around? I can open my computer and try to make everything firm in place, though I haven't done it before.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:29:25 PM »
      ...So I used an air compressor to get all the dust out (there was an insane amount..). Maybe one of the components got messed around?...
      The likely cause was overheating.  Now the issue may be something else.
      If you actually used an air compressor, you may have damaged a component via ESD (Electro Static Discharge).  Air compressors put out dry air which can cause ESD.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge

JaysonTaylor86

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
        Problem solved! All i did was make sure everything was tight and secure.

Thank you so much, both of you.  ::)