Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Update Crashed Computer/Now Opens to Temporary Profile  (Read 2675 times)

peniannie

I will try to make this brief (but informative). On June 18th, there were Windows Security Updates made to my computer and since that time, my computer has crashed (repeatedly) and now takes up to an hour to reboot and never opens to my user profile (admin).  It always resets to a temporary user profile with limited access to files.  The first time it happened, I was going to use System Restore to go back to a point prior to the upgrades but all restore points were gone.  I have performed a clean boot, which made no difference; have started in safe mode with networking, which didn't help either.  I am not able to use System Restore in safe mode either.  I do not have the discs to do a repair on the system and now I am getting an error message that says hard drive failure is imminent.  I need to get my computer to a safe point prior to the 6/18 upgrades so I can see if there really is a problem with my hard drive.  It periodically and randomly will just shut down and restart. sometimes there is the blue screen of death but it passes so quickly that I am unable to see what the message says.  Other than the occasional blue screen, I am not getting any error messages.  The computer just locks up and shuts down.  Also - it freezes up CONSTANTLY. It may take twenty minutes just to read a few emails because it locks up so often.  It has taken almost half an hour just to type this.

First priority is to restore the computer to a functional, working state again.  Suggestions? Help? .......(prayers?)

It is an HP G60-120US laptop!

Doug

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows Update Crashed Computer/Now Opens to Temporary Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »
The thing that sticks in my mind about your post is that you say "It always resets to a temporary user profile with limited access to files."  That always seems to point to an infection or virus or something.  But, I'm not an expert.  I would try posting here:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

and following the directions.